THE TRIP

My father and mother were still at my house. I explained the whole situation to them, and to my greatest surprise, they agreed to my trip. I told Luna and Stella about the trip. They were sad about it, and I was even sadder. It was so hard to say goodbye again. Everything would repeat again. Peter, Orlando, and João helped me with the preparations in my last training sessions. I don't know how, but I was going to miss training. I was already getting used to it. From time to time, Fabio and Leonor warned me to be careful with Richard's proposals.

On the second-to-last day of training, Fabio came to assist me. It was target practice. He was surprised by me.

"You have great aim!" he commented.

I smiled.

He took a piece of cloth from his right pocket and wiped his shiny ring, then wiped his sweaty forehead with it. Leonor came toward Fabio.

"She will make an excellent soldier, my governor," Leonor mentioned, smiling.

Fabio nodded.

"Certainly, my friend. She gets that from her mother. Gabi was once a very good policewoman. She excelled well in the military category of our society. After she started a romance with Private Samuel... Her situation changed, but these are things that happen. Now we have hope in this young woman. I hope she doesn't make the same mistake as her mother." Fabio exaggerated in that last sentence; I felt that he was putting too much weight on me.

"She won't, my governor. This girl has determination; I see it in her eyes!"

"I hope so, my friend. I hope so."

"Wake up, Graham. Pay attention to the training! I am not Guilherme."

He stared at me for a moment.

"Oh..." I tried to speak.

"What are you looking at? Let's shoot these targets!" He pushed me. "Come on, Graham!"

I did what he told me. He told everyone to stop after a few minutes, and he took my arm and smiled — a wicked smile.

"What are we going to do now?" asked John.

"Shut up! Now, we are going to practice combat, hand to hand, and you will fight with me. First to fight... Hmmm... Miss Graham. You."

I positioned myself to attack. I swallowed hard at the sight of his arms; he was too strong. I had no chance against him, no way!

"Go on, Emi!" shouted Stella. I looked at her out of the corner of my eye.

I went in first. He dodged.

"Too slow," he murmured.

He walked, and suddenly he was behind me, punching me in the back. I fell. I stood up. I flew at his neck; he pulled me away quickly. I tried to hit his face, but to no avail.

"Emi," I didn't recognize the voice. "Come on, Emi. You can do it."

It was Luana.

"Idiot," I exclaimed, kicking him in the stomach. He fell.

"Very good, skinny."

I was breathing hard. I was tired.

He wiped the sweat from his face. I stepped back with my arms in front of my body.

"Don't worry, little princess. I won't hurt you... Very..."

When he punched, I quickly lowered my head and punched his belly again; it was hard, so I put more force into my fists. He hit me in the back of the head. My vision darkened, and I couldn't see anything else.