UNKNOWN

It was almost midnight and I still couldn't sleep, thinking about the next full day.

First: it would be my birthday, on January 7. Second: classes would start in a week at the most. I would face the unknown again. It was torture, every year, the same story. My sixteen years would be no different than my fifteen. Everything would be the same as it was last year.

I had been losing hope for good changes since I was nine years old. I always believed that the coming year would be a year of new discoveries, new people, new challenges, but in reality everything remained the same.

My mother, as always, was in her beauty salon, and my father, in his lovely restaurant that he had managed, it was already four years of attachment to this restaurant. And me as always at home. All my father and mother had accomplished with their new favorite jobs was to remodel the house and buy a second-hand car, a Toyota Tercel.

"Dad, I didn't need a present," I said a bit clumsily.

"Your father just wanted to give you a present, dear," my mother said in a sweet voice.

He handed me a small box and in it was a black camera.

"It's wonderful! Thank you, Dad."

"I'm glad you like it, dear. Now your mother will give you the other one."

"Another one? And you have another one?"

"Of course, not as valuable as your father's, but it will serve you well. An album. An album for you to keep every beautiful memory of your life, after all, it is the beginning of the year. Anything can happen!"

"Thank you, Mom. Thank you, Dad."

I ate my breakfast care-free, already calmer. My parents left as soon as they finished breakfast. I made lunch and cleaned the house; I almost fell down the stairs when I was washing it. I also washed the porch, and after I had cleaned the whole house, I went to take a shower. I brushed my hair, which was already in need, and brushed my teeth, quickly changed my clothes, and combed my disheveled hair.

I went to the keychain in the living room and got the key to the Toyota Tercel. I was eager to go to the supermarket and stop at the restaurant before returning home. It was almost noon, so I hurried to the supermarket before it closed. I started the car's engine and headed for the nearest market.

My wet hair was dripping on my jeans. In front of the market, I turned off the car's engine, took the money, and got out.

The black-haired girl smiled at me from beside a huge car, a black Land Rover glistening in the bright sun. I quickly returned the smile. The young-looking girl was accompanied by a handsome young man with curly golden hair, white skin and emerald green eyes. I was a little intimidated to see that he was staring at me with a serious and impassive expression, but I lifted my head and went on my way to enter the market.

I bought everything I needed for lunch the next day and on the way home, I passed my father's restaurant again.

"Hi, honey. What's up? Do you want something to eat?"

"No, Dad. I already made my lunch. I just came by to say hello."

"Is everything really okay?" he wanted to know.

"Yes. Bye!"

"Emilly!" he called.

"Yes?"

"Be careful."

"Okay, Dad. It's okay, Dad."

I was sometimes strangely suspicious of my parents. They seemed to be hiding something. It was a very strange feeling.