9- confused

November 1st, 1976
Black Lake, Hogwarts
11:13 am

'what's up bitch' sirius black said to his best friend, walking towards his girls that were sitting in a wide circle on the grass on top of a light red blanket with a basket seeming to be full of food and drinks

'nothing much, how about you cunt?' phoebe replied to the boy that was wearing dark colored pants and a tight black shirt with a leather jacket on top.

the rest of the marauders came walking behind sirius, sitting down with the girls, peter sitting next to mary and putting his chips down next to him, remus down beside lily with sirius next to him their knees brushing slightly, and james next to phoebe as he glanced at her she kept her gaze forward

'how'd you guys sleep?' mary asked as she reach her hands into the basket grabbing a tray of finger sandwiches and pulling out some bottles of butter beer passing them around the circle.

'so do any of you remember last night, i sure do' sirius smirked, mainly hoping for a reaction from phoebe who hadn't said much since they sat down keeping her gaze on the food in front of her, her eyes glued to the label on butterbeer.

everyone seemed to catch on to what he was saying with majority of the group smiling slightly towards sirius and james sending a sharp glare towards him

phoebe looked up towards the silence that reached her ears glancing to the eyes that stared, practically into her soul. the girls wondering if she could keep the lie, which she really was a good liar when she wanted to be, (unless it came to the girls) or if she was gonna go with the other route and tell the truth.

'oh um- you know just bits and pieces' phoebe spoke calmly in a low rasp hoping to change the subject 'did i do something that i don't remember? like try to striptease a perfect?' she added, at the end of the year party last year, phoebe had gotten very drunk and tried to strip for the prefect, trying to steer the subject away from her kiss with her best friend the night prior.

'well depends- do you want to know what you did?' remus asked slightly smirking picking up on her efforts to change the subject hinting that she knew what the long haired boy meant.

'depends on how bad it was rem' she said squinting over in his direction brushing a strand of her hair behind her ear showing off her piercings, 2 gold hoops with an antler going up her ear the back through her carriage and lobe the one mirroring the antler on her other ear. the earrings james had gotten her for her birthday this past year.

james saw a glimmer in the corner of his eye while listening to her and remus' conversation and looked to her ears noticing the small golden antlers on her ear. a small smile tugged at his lips when he fully noticed.

the girl had always had something small to remind her of the marauders that she was a part of. a white gold ring rested on her middle finger that wrapped around twice before ending in a crescent moon shape. a brown bracelet laid on her wrist, along with many others, that reminded her of a young mouse like boy. a locket she wore everyday that sat between her collarbones of a star constellation, specifically the one that held sirius, which opened to a picture of the 5 marauders at the potter manor christmas break 4th year. yes she had the earring for james, but majority of the many bracelets that sat on her wrist came from the spectacled boy. along with 3 rings resting on her index finger, thumb, and her other index finger. along with a small necklace that had the aries sign on it.

'well i remember walking in on a certain 2 people snogging' sirius said grinning wide putting a grape into his mouth.

'who? you and remus?' phoebe said begging godric gryffindor himself, it would distract them. she really couldn't figure out how to lie about this. every time she thought about her best friend her stomach formed knots and her mouth went dry. thinking it was nerves of her friendship becoming awkward.

'wha-what no no. what? no?' sirius stuttered and laughed uncomfortably, while remus turned a light shade of pink and cleared his throat

phoebe smiled at her successful attempt to change then subject when sirius said 'how'd you guys sleep' looking up at the sky.

all seemed to catch on, with mumbled agreements on a good sleep. sirius flopped onto his back looking up at the sky with his arm resting below his head. everyone seemed to follow his actions everyone laying back looking up at the blue sky that peaked through the huge trees. clouds took on beautiful shapes covering the sun so they could watch with ease.

james tilted his face to the right looking at the side profile of the veela for a long while. he connected the freckles with his eyes and watched as her green eyes flickered from cloud to cloud. he saw the honey specks shine as the sunshine that peeked around the moving clouds reflected in her eyes.

'hey jamie look at that clou-' phoebe trailed off looking his direction meeting his already turned face and eyes that were fixated on her and her only.

the two silently took in each others stares falling into the deep pools that were each others eyes. they must've been falling for hours as they slowly started to hear snapping above their faces coming from a certain best friend of theirs who was excited to plan his birthday.

after a while of discussing the party that would take place the friday night after his birthday, lily and remus left to study, sirius following remus, mary going to find some hufflepuff, and peter and marlene leaving to get food from the kitchens. that left james and nat still laying in the same position except staring up at the clouds instead of each other.

nat watched marlene and peter walk away, as their figures started to shrink she turned back to james the words dying in her throat as she met his soft gaze once again.

'phoebe i- last night-' james started the words coming out quiet.

'yeah i know it doesn't mean anything. we were just a little fucked' phoebe cut him off scared of any response he was gonna give her. sitting up and pulling her knees to her chest james sitting up on his elbows.

'i- it means something to me.' james said it came out almost silent he didn't think it reached her ears for a small time

'james- i can't' she finally said with her head on her knees. she ran her hands through her hair 'i can't do it to you. i won't be good for you. i can't lose you' she rushed out, getting up quickly grabbing her shoes.

'no phoebe please-' james said grabbing her forearm standing up not wanting her to leave. she pulled her arm from him gently, 'james, i can't.' she said her green eyes brimming with tears making her eyes appear glossy.

james just stood there as he watched her walk away. did i loose her?

—————————

hi!

this definitely isn't slowburn but i have like i bigger plot in mind yk. anyways i felt like writing so here. if ur reading please comment and vote!!

-p❤️‍🔥 (take care)