Chapter 3

Red Rose Clan

2300 hours

Rao Yueru

The forewarnings were clear in his mind. He was warned and reminded for the past hours regarding the consequences. Out of the many people he had spent his days with, he had never seen someone as paranoid as Herbert regarding his choice. Even his two best friends Tyran and Virgil were immune to his eternal obstinacy. Standing before the rose, Yueru wondered if backing away could be the best choice. His palms pressed close to his sides, itching to reach out to grab onto anything that could drain his worry away. That was impossible. As Herbert made his covenant to the siblings, Yueru shut his eyes, running words of wisdom that were given by those who truly cared for him. His heart thumped against his fragile chest like kids forcing their weight on a loose trampoline.

Yueru clasped his palms together, dragging them close to his lips as he pressed a tiny kiss to soothe his raging heart. All sorts of memories rushed through his mind willingly as Yueru allowed them to travel into every vacant space in his mind. He needed the courage to proceed with his reckless choice. Truth be told, Yueru was worried. He felt insecure, and unsure, all wrapped in one fragile plastic. Glancing at the flowing magic, they reminded Yueru of Ixant's glowing scales and her vitalizing words.

I might despise you when you ruin the arrangement of my books, little flea, but I stand by my words. You are capable of a future unknown to you, and a destiny that could make your heart happy. Set yourself free like a flea. Travel to unknown places that could make your heart beat quicker than usual.

Yueru craved only the truth. Out here in the open, away from stringent norms, Yueru lived in liberty. He never had to worry about the image he had to parade for his people. And, most importantly, Herbert was there, trusting his every ridiculous, reckless, and careless choice. The elder never doubted him, unlike himself. Tonight's choice was once his greatest desire, yet right at that moment something felt amiss. His body shivered against the cold wind, fingers brushing away the fringes that began to mirror his masked feelings - his craving for a bed to just rest and sleep. Infinity questions clung tight to his mind.

What if he did not make it out alive tonight? What would become of Roa then? Would the Roans under his governance fall into a trap set by his father? Or will they build an empire that no one ever imagined before?

The prince knew thoroughly what every Roan are capable of, but he was certain that the vampires would not be able to stand tall without their leaders. Ashker, the loyal outdoor librarian often shared chapters of his experiences during the change of era. Apparently, during the transition period from his grandfather's ruling to his father, there had been whispers that the court was a mess despite those great masks they wore. They were hopes and doubts that the older vampires saw through the eyes of his father that he would be a tyrant. Yueru overheard a conversation between Ashker and Ixant once when he spent the night without their knowledge. Till now, Yueru believed that they did it on purpose, to be apathetic to his presence even when there were visitors from other kingdoms.

"I was at the court, Ixant. I saw doubts coming from them, and if he does not step down from the throne, Roa will lose its connection with the outside world. What is the point of forming a barrier when we are predators ourselves? And, why hold a meeting when all he does is mock the other? His ego is too high even when he knows that all his current legacies were left down by his father and his father-in-law. Roa needs a change for its survival. We need someone to hold the reins tight. Not forming knots on them," Ashker voiced out, removing his robe, and sweeping the cup of tea off its table.

"You know Roa has someone to hold on to those reins, yet chances are not present right at the moment," Ixant answered, shaking the leaves off her horns. "To sit on a throne is not an asset, but a liability. It will be carried throughout their lives. It is haunting if it is not done right."

He knew for some time now that if he wanted Roa to be free, then he had to step up. Even so, Yueru wondered how many of the Roans would put their trust in him. The court's mutual agreement to his arranged engagement was proof that they were still bowing to the old rules. One can only make a sudden change with proper strategy. At that moment, Yueru could only hear the buzzing sound in his mind. He feared his choices, yet deep down he knew, he needed to walk this path.

"Everything will be alright," Herbert's voice emerged, blocking his nasty thoughts from travelling further. "I'm here. I will watch over you. Believe in yourself and empty your mind."

Before Yueru could respond, Mar Ke had already gestured him towards the centre of the sacred ground. Tingles channelled from the magic surrounding the flower towards his bare feet and palms. The rose glowed, welcoming the foreign presence with a surge of electricity jolting through his body as if demanding a passcode after trespassing on its territory. Yueru stood right next to the flower, facing Herbert who provided him assurance that everything will be alright. A gentle nod from Herbert was enough to convince Yueru that no matter what happened tonight, he would be there for him.

Chants began to infiltrate the area. Jingling bells echoed, mimicking ancient rituals that were directed towards sacrifice. Wane stepped forward, dripping a tiny droplet of silver liquid that forced ripples to explode from within the rose. The siblings gathered together in union, speaking spells that were alien to his knowledge. However, the last line somehow seemed familiar in a way. Yueru was aware that it was directed to the magic to grant him a pathway to his buried memories. Like the speed of the newly carved arrowhead sunk into his skin, flames sparked within his current mind and dragged him to his past. It was neither pleasure nor pain for he felt himself travel across different peculiar planes. His heart squelched at the sight of the unanticipated, drawing him further into a sea of exasperation.

His past was far from his conjecture. Of all the three lives he went through, none of them had a cordial atmosphere. Yueru finally understood his passion for the world beyond Roa. Hatred filled his void, and his curiosity ruined him. The person he had been seeking approval and attention from was always the one who broke him and drove him further. All the broken strings he tried to mend were for nothing, but an open pathway to easier blame and torment. He was never the king's favourite from the start. He will never gain the approval he was seeking for.

Now, more than ever Yueru understood the ridiculous plans he was set to. He used to tell himself that it was to build him, to nurture him, but now he knew, it was to kill him - if every one of his father's master plans worked out. Feeling his legs grow weak, Yueru crumbled, tightening his grip on his head as the stinging sensation clouded him.

Blood oozed out from the socket of his eyes, blocking his sight from the glowing moon. They dripped onto the grass among his feet and seeped into the magic transpiring from the rose. With the queer element of Yueru's blood polluting its lands, the outer petals of the rose withered, melting itself into crimson red liquid. Yuere felt himself being forced into a world filled with alphabets that formed into scriptures he had never seen before while Mar Ke took the opportunity to fill his vial with the fluid pouring from the rose. As the last drop trickled into the almost full container, a strong wave of energy blasted across the space, throwing everyone away from their positions.

Laying motionless on the cold ground, Yueru felt the magic slither away from his body. He groaned at the pounding sensation across his mind, shutting his eyes tight. Every memory clung tight to his cells, reminding him who he was before he transformed.

And, none of it was like what he hoped or imagined.

He was ultimately disappointed, but there is no reverse to undo his imprudent behaviour. 

Word Count: 1439 words

Cumulative Word Count: 4661 words