THIRTEEN

Alvaen enlarged the area where Loridian's tracker beeped, hoping he hadn't lost it over the last few hours. The ground gave way underneath him, and he tried to jump away, but he fell into an opening that appeared out of nowhere. Instead of hitting solid ground, however, he fell against ropes he realized after a moment was a net. He groaned in frustration since he'd lost his device AND had been trapped for the gods knew what nefarious purpose.
He heard a thump somewhere out of sight before a figure leaned over the hole, squinting inside. Alvaen had been about to use this best scary, deep Dokkalfr voice when he recognized the person's eyes.
"You're not dinner, at least in real life."
Loridian's smile underneath the black camouflage paint over his face lightened his heart about ten pounds.
"Loridian! Is that you?"
"Hold on, let me pull you up."
He gathered the ends of the net, Alvaen nervous for a few moments before he lifted him from the hole, dragging him onto the ground. Alvaen rolled out, landing on his back. Loridian knelt beside him, picking some leaves from his hair, Alvaen unable not to be taken in by the warmth in his powerful gaze. They'll be no living with him, now.
"I expected Terynzia. Did you come looking for me?"
Alvaen sat up, quickly avoiding his gaze as he brushed dirt from his clothing.
"I'm sure she wanted to come, but she had to get back to the ship."
"But you're the one who came."
Alvaen gave him a resigned gaze but Loridian didn't continue the trajectory of the conversation, standing to help him to his feet. He brushed some dirt from his hair, but it was more like a light caress than functional. He didn't meet his gaze before looking up at the heavy canopy, but his lack of expectation after the touch only increased the pressure in Alvaen's chest.
"We should get to shelter. It's going to rain soon."
Alvaen groaned. "How do you know?" His chancellor only gave him a fond look, not answering his question. Alvaen looked away. "I lost the device I was tracking you with. I could have communicated with the ship."
"It wouldn't have worked in the storm anyway. Let's get going."

Alvaen walked alongside him, knowing what a storm meant, and what would most likely happen when this one got close to him. It was easier to put him off when they slept separately, but even his self-control only lasted so long. Loridian led him to a thicker canopy, Alvaen looking up to see the branches of the tree above them were so thick and close together, little rainwater would get through.
When Loridian pulled something like a blanket from his person, Alvaen eyed it suspiciously when he saw him put a foot in a crag of the trunk and climb up onto a low, thick branch. He wondered where he'd gotten it but decided not to question him on it. He didn't see how he pinned it, but he draped it over another branch reaching out from the trunk, before doing the same with the other side.
Loridian jumped down, not a difficult feat for his six foot three frame, leaning over to punch at the base of the tree. Alvaen realized it was a hollow tree, like could be found on their home world. Loridian cast aside pieces of bark, careful to pick up strays that had fallen on the ground, Alvaen's heart softened a little at his care.
"We won't have a blanket to lie on, but the important thing is that we don't get wet. That's what could bring fever."
"It seems like you've been here longer than a few hours," Alvaen ventured. Loridian looked at the canopy.
"That's because I've been here before."    Alvaen looked at him curiously. Loridian looked at him. "I wasn't sure if it was the same planet, but once we were here, I recognized the unique properties of this forest."
Alvaen wanted to know this story, but before he could ask, he heard raindrops on the leaves. Loridian laid down on the ground and he felt obligated to follow. His chancellor tucked in his cloak around him, doing ridiculous things to his heart he hid from everyone. Alvaen turned on his side away from him, but Loridian didn't seem to mind. He came close behind and wrapped an arm around him, bringing the cowl of his hood up around his neck.
"Are you very cold?"
Alvaen felt himself softening against him.
"No, not yet."
"It was smart to wear this cloak. How did you know we would get shipwrecked?"
Alvaen recognized the light tone to his voice as his happiness. He wasn't sure why it made him feel guilty. He thought he might get offended when he didn't answer when he felt him placing his chin on his shoulder, remembering how he'd smelled his hair when he'd been drunk. Unfortunately, their current position reminded him of that damned shower, cursing his own weaknesses.
"Are you comfortable?"
"Enough," he managed to say through the cowl, the lie feeling dirty. He shut his eyes and told himself to sleep, listening to the sound of the rain, but unable to focus on much other than his warmth behind him.