"Fine," he said, deciding to just play along and let the pirate figure out on his own that he was back in the world of the living, "but even if I'm not the real Wesley, wouldn't it make sense for you to relax and enjoy the time we have together while it lasts?"

Valentine blinked, his eyes moving rapidly back and forth as he considered the words.

"You want to have sex?"

"Gods no." Wesley wrinkled his nose in distaste, a dusting of red growing on his cheeks, neck, and ears as he looked away.

Valentine narrowed his eyes at the man as if trying to see through him. After a moment of contemplation, he said, "Maybe you are real."

Wesley snorted, crossing his arms defensively over his chest. "I'm sure even dream Wesley has standards."

"No," Valentine shook his head lightly and kept his curious gaze on the merchant. "Dream Wesley and I are very well acquainted."

Wesley blushed harder at the implications of that statement, refusing to look anywhere near the pirate. Clearing his throat, he clarified, "I just meant that there's no point in freaking out before anything bad even happens."

"It will though. Something awful is going to happen to you any second," he said, a moroseness taking over his features again.

"So?" Wesley asked, unconcerned by his supposed fate. "Nothing is happening to me right now."

The pirate looked unsure, his eyes surveying the room for any immediate threats.

Wesley sighed again and transferred himself onto the cot beside Valentine. A perturbed look passed over the pirate's face as he eyed the merchant.

"I thought you said no sex."

"Shut up." Wesley huffed and made himself comfortable before looking over at the pirate lazily. "Why don't we get some decent rest while we wait for something to come and kill me? We both look like we could use it."

Valentine stared at him for a few moments, but after scanning the room for threats one more time, he cautiously settled himself into the merchant's side.

Wesley closed his eyes, basking in the warmth of the other man. He felt strangely comforted by the feeling of Valentine's chest slowly expanding and contracting against him. 

The pirate shifted a small bit and hesitantly moved his arm to drape over the merchant's torso. His hand came to rest over the beating drum hidden beneath Wesley's rib cage. Valentine lightly toyed with the fabric separating their skin, somewhat mesmerized by the sight of Wesley's chest rising and falling as well.

He sighed softly, eyes drooping as he silently prayed for the moment to last forever. Tiredness, like a rope fastened to his consciousness, tugged him closer to sleep. He held on, though, because he was afraid that if he fell asleep the moment would slip through his fingertips and never be seen again.

Feeling the light circles the pirate was tracing over his chest, Wesley spoke at a low volume, "That's not sleeping."

Valentine, though exhausted, blinked slowly and said, "I can't sleep."

"Why not?" Wesley asked without opening his eyes.

"I can't protect you when I'm asleep," he whispered.

Something fluttered inside the merchant's chest. It felt as though a small critter had burrowed into a cozy spot beneath his ribs and was spinning around trying to get comfortable. On instinct, Wesley reached for the spot, wanting to rub away the feeling, but found Valentine's hand there instead. When their fingers brushed, Wesley briefly considered pulling his hand away. However, a stronger part of him wanted to cover the man's hand completely with his own. So he did. The warmth of his hand bled into the cool skin beneath, though curiously, the contact made him feel a few degrees warmer. Silence hung in the air as he searched his mind for the right thing to say. He was never as good with words as Valentine was. Eventually though, some words came.

"You gave me a knife, remember?" the merchant settled on. "I can protect myself."

The pirate didn't seem entirely convinced, so Wesley squeezed his hand lightly.

"Go to sleep, Val," he said. "I'll be here when you wake up. I promise."

Hoping beyond anything that he was right, Valentine finally gave in to his exhaustion and let his heavy eyelids slide shut. Sleep came to him so fast that he felt like he was falling.

----+------+----
A/N

If you vote on a story, which method do you use: vote as you read or go back and vote on each chapter once you've reached the end of the book?

Next update on Sunday,
-Mora Montgomery