7. i can see you

7.  i can see you

i can see you - (taylor's version)(from the vault)

October 7th

The camera panned at me, a white light gleaming off the lens that stared me right in the eye. Claps and the sound of the audience cheering filled my ears making it hard to focus on the speech I had perfectly memorized all of last night. With an awkward smile, I wait a couple of seconds before it dies on as I perform the rehearsed words.

 With an awkward smile, I wait a couple of seconds before it dies on as I perform the rehearsed words

"Hi, I'm Alora Cathet as anyone who's ever walked into Times Square could've guessed." I shrug and clasp my hands in front of me. "I'm excited to be your host for tonight, it's my first time hosting ever."

Applause filled the room once more as I stop and wait. "You know I never imagined myself being up here, my brother told me growing up numerous times how unfunny I was. The only funny thing about me was my looks!" I sigh and jokingly shake my head, "Look at me now, Emrys."

If he was even watching. "My grandparents," I pause again as the cheering got louder at the mention of them. "Who I'm assuming you know of. My grandparents always told me when I was younger, "Alora, you won't succeed unless you put yourself out there." I mimic their Finnish accent as I smile at the conversation I remember vividly from childhood.

"And so that's what I did, I put myself out there. Under many men." I wink but internally groan at the joke Eric had them keep in. "Why else do you think I'm here tonight?"

Laughter sounded as I wiped my sweaty palms down the side of my dress. "No, but seriously, my grandparents are wonderful people." Lies. "If you ever need a good old Hollywood scandal just talk to them. They'll have plenty of ideas on what to do."

I clap my hands together and force another smile, "Before we go on with the show I just wanted to say a quick thank you to my parents, for always allowing me to be the favorite child and pushing me also to be the best." I wink at the quick jab at my brother, "We have a great show tonight! Orville Peck is here tonight, so stick around we'll be right back."

The camera moves off of me as the lights dim and I'm quickly rushed backstage to get ready for the first skit of the night. I'm sitting in the makeup chair as someone is retouching my lipstick when I spot a familiar tall figure walking by in the background. I push the hand away from me as I jump up from the seat and walk over to the man with a joint hanging out his lips.

"Oh hey, there's the star of the night." He mumbles the words out as he holds an arm out, pulling me in for a hug. His cologne infiltrated my senses making my mind forget even where we were. "You did amazing out there."

"Thanks, it's very nerve-wracking to be up there." I pull back from his hug and look up at him. "Uh, I should go back. Just wanted to say a quick hey." I walk away before he can say anything else as I curse myself mentally. Fucking idiot, he's at work.

My eyes dart around the room at the few people that were glancing our way. Fuck. I sit back down in the chair as the person begrudgingly fixed my hair to whatever style it was that was needed and stuck an outfit into my hand pointing to an empty dressing room.