Chapter 15

Four weeks later

Nicola's POV

I was digging through my closet for a dress to wear for an event tonight, for which I had to be there in one and a half hours!

Simon was definitely going to kill me this time.

I had been working on a painting for the latest art exhibition held at the HGS gallery and had lost track of time. The exhibition will be held in a month, and I spent the last four weeks trying to get ready for it. Five of my artwork will be exhibited there this year.

Simon's family owned the gallery. He was the one who had helped me when I had first moved here and we soon became close friends. He and I met in college, and he had seen my work and proposed that I had moved here and started my career. I had been reluctant to leave Sarah at the time, but the events that had occurred helped me to pack up and come here.

As I was digging through my closet, I heard my phone ring. Oh no! I bet that's Simon! He would be so mad if he knew that I hadn't even showered or selected a dress yet!

I dug through my piles of dresses on my bed and found my phone. I picked up the call and said hello.

"Pleeease tell me you have at least showered," was the first thing he said.

"Umm.." I said, scratching my head.

"Nicola!" He shouted through the phone.

"I know, I know! I'm sorry. I lost track of time. I have to finish the paintings as well, right?" I quickly interrupted apologetically.

"Promoting yourself is as important as painting, you know," he said exasperatedly.

I have heard him say this a million times, so I just rolled my eyes, grinning.

"Don't worry, Simon, I will be on time. Have I ever let you down."

I knew he was rolling his eyes right now.

"Just hurry up." He said more calmly. "I will wait for you. By love." With that, he hung up without waiting for a reply.

I had selected my dress by now, so I kept it on the bed and took the discarded ones, and hung them back in the closet. I can't really function in a mess.

Taking off my overalls, which i still wear when painting, I rushed to the bathroom and took a quick but thorough shower, lathering my hair with shampoo and scrubbing all the paint off of me.

I wrapped a towel around myself and one on my hair and rushed out. I rubbed lotion, dried my hair, blow dried and straightened it, and applied some light makeup on my face and a bright shade of lip gloss for my lips. Then I looked at the time.

Only an hour. See, I am a master at this,I thought to myself, patting myself on the back proudly.

Then I slipped into my dress and heels, grabbed my clutch, and looked at myself in the mirror.

I smiled at what I saw. I still can't compare with Sarah, and out here I didn't have to anyway, but still, if I say so myself, I looked pretty good.

My hair was straightened and slicked back in a sexy wet hair look. My skin looked healthy and radient, and the makeup made it look flawless. I was wearing a long champagne coloured satin dress with a slit down the side (not as revealing as in the picture) with spaghetti straps and a sweet heart neckline.

I looked elegant and sophisticated, not at all like the girl of six years ago who wore baggy sweaters and overalls religiously, and followed Gabriel around like a lost puppy.

As promised, I took out my tablet, set it up on the dresser, and called the girls.

They picked up immediately, probably because they had been waiting, excited to see me 'dressed up as a princess'. Their words.

I was greeted with squeals of delight. "You look so pretty" from one and "turn around! turn around! I want to see " from the other.

I did a three sixty degree turn to give them a full view of the dress and did a curtsy at the end for greater effect, which was rewarded by more squeals and jumping up and down.

I was grinning at them until I looked at the time. I gasped reading it. I was late!

"Girls, I have to go, I am so late now Simon will have smoke coming out of his ears by now." I said, making a horrified face making the girls giggle.

They have known Simon since their first trip here. He comes over a lot, so they are very familiar with him. He had even been here while I did my daily video chats with the girls. He is good with kids and always makes them laugh.

I said my goodbyes quickly and hung up, sending lots of kisses to them.

Then I grabbed my stuff and rushed down the stairs as fast as I could in my heels.

When I reached the front door, I stepped outside to see a sleek black Mercedes-benz waiting for me outside, with a driver ready to drive me to my destination.

I had my own car, but no driver, so Simon would always send his driver to pick me up for these occasions.

I walked up to him smiling.

"Good evening, Miss Nicola," he greeted, opening the door for me.

"Good evening, David. Is Simon already at the Gala?" I asked as I got in.

"Yes ma'am," he replied politely before he shut the door.

"David, how many times did I tell you to call me Nicola. I feel so old when you call me ma'am or Miss Nicolas." I said, making a face at him.

His only response was to smile at me through the review mirror. So I just sighed and leaned back without saying anything further. He won't agree no matter how much I try to convince him.

I checked the time on my phone and saw a message from Simon.

WHERE ARE YOU?

I gulped. I was in so much trouble. I was on my way to a charity gala that was organised every year to fund children with cancer.

Every year, I did an art piece for the silent auction that they held to raise money.

It was always a very successful event where the country's wealthiest attended and donated by buying the art pieces exhibited in the auction.

The car stopped near the huge building, which was lighted up for the grand event. I hurried my way inside amongst the media, swamped outside, waiting for all the celebrities to arrive.

As soon as I slipped inside, I was greeted by Simon. "Finally!" He said in an annoyed tone, taking my hand and dragging me towards some people.

"Sorry, sorry. I had to call the girls before I left." I said, totally letting the girls take the blame for my delay, sending him my best apologetic smile to which he just gave me an annoyed look over his shoulder. He knew I mentioned the girls so he couldn't lecture me, I thought sheepishly.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Hi all. How do you like this chapter?

I am such an introvert. I am completely clueless about these functions, so please bear with me 😣

Thank you for reading. ❤️

Don't forget to vote!