♥ Standing In The Dark ♥

Start from the beginning

I know I'm not one to change

Never wanted nothing more

But as I walk up to your door

He strummed with a flourish and tapped his foot. His voice seemed to echo, amplify around the square that people vanished in a trance. He closed his eyes. He saw himself, and her, smiling at each other. He missed her smile, so easy to get out of her, when his limit was only a small turn-up at the corners of his mouth. 

I'm standing in the dark, she's dancing on the table

Looking through the glass, she's someone else's angel

That scene. Five minutes ago. His heartstrings strummed to the beat of his guitar, and all the same time it shattered into a thousand pieces. He did not know how much he loved her-- until now.

It may sound stupid that I'm wanting you back

But I'm wanting you back, girl

His guitar reached the climax.

And now I'm standing in the dark - dark oh dark - dark

Gray did his best to hold in his tears, as he knew her eyes could be stuck to the back of his neck. His mouth moved, but he felt no lyrics emit. It was natural for him to sing to his heart's content, but he couldn't hear his own voice. He had disappeared into his own world again.

All I wanna do is hide but I can't stop myself from staring.

Wishing these hands were mine, I can't stop myself from caring.

His eyes blazed with fire when he realized his mistake. Why had he left her? He had been so stupid. Now he was standing right there, lamenting on his girl slipping through his fingers just like that. And he knew the entire thing was his fault, and because of that...

And as he turns down the lights ...

I'm feeling paralyzed.

... he felt utterly paralyzed all at once. 

And as he looks into her eyes...

The pain... it was heart-wrenching, so cruel. How could he even stop himself from craving for her again? How would he know Lyon would treat her right? The scene unfolded in front of him in a flash; he had joined Juvia on the table, grabbing at her waist and swaying with her. The look in their eyes was unfathomable. Only now did he realize that she had finally, finally kicked him out of her life forever. And the thought was so devastating that the tears welled in his eye sockets. Never in his life  had he felt this way before.

I'm standing in the dark, she's dancing on the table

Looking through the glass, she's someone else's angel

It may sound stupid that I'm wanting you back

But I'm wanting you back, girl

And now I'm standing in the dark - dark oh dark - dark  

His vocals reverberated, along with one final strum. Coins poured into his case. He did not smile at the sight. It was ironic how every single song he made with her was a smash hit.

The door next to him opened. He jumped slightly, sidestepping to reveal a heavily-coated woman. It wasn't even that cold out in the streets, but Gray did not care to care. 

The woman stopped, looking down at the guitar case at her feet. She flinched noticeably, which made Gray slightly uncomfortable. She stooped, slowly, and withdrew a piece of paper from her coat. She attached a large sum of money before adding it to the pile. Then she began to walk away.

"Wait!"

She turned. Gray was breathing quickly, holding out a peach pink wallet to her. "You forgot this." As he handed it to her he felt his hand brush across a smooth, pale one. He also noticed that her coat had a small butterfly brooch pinned to it. There was only one person he knew who loved butterflies dearly indeed. And yet he hadn't suspected anything... until now. 

"Thank you." 

The voice. It was exactly how his dear Juvia Lockser sounded. 

Her eyes did not meet his, instead she hastily made her way down the road. Before leaving, however, she turned, and flashed a small smile at him. His stomach did somersaults.

He ran back to his unattended case. Throwing the money back into the case, he retrieved the note. And he managed to break his smiling limit when his face lit up with a full-on grin. 

Her phone number.