chapter thirty one

Start from the beginning

"Little prince," Darius slowly, slowly, turns around, "Crowling" I flinch but when I see his face I realize he's smiling, a kind smile? "Nice for you to finally join us."

"Just whats going on here?" Hunter steps forwards accusatory.
"I actually came to get you two," Darius nods to me, there's some sort of apologetic appearance in his expression.

I feel the trace of Hunter's hand on mine, under his gloves he squeezes mine for a second, a reassurance.

"I don't trust you," he states, finally.
"Thought so, that's why I brought someone with me," Darius says, he seems slightly saddened by Hunter's words though.

Teal hair emerges from behind Darius' shoulder, thick glasses mark their presence.
"Raine," my face splits into a warm smile.
"I'm so glad you're safe y/n," Raine says, their face a rainbow of smiles.

"Can someone please explain what's going on?" Hunter hisses.

"Let's ahm, go into a different room, so we don't worry the students," Raine whispers (haha), Hunter swallows and nods. This time it's my turn to squeeze his hand in reassurance.

The other room is some sort of staff room, it has comfortable couches and a kitchen area with a coffee machine and a ton of mugs with 'worst teacher' scribed upon them.

We sit down on the couch, across from Raine in an armchair and Darius who's sitting on the floor.

"So," Raine says, "I presume y/n told you about the cats?"
Darius audibly groans at the name.
Hunter nods rigidly, he sits with his shoulders tight and his hands tapping his knees.
"Eberwolf, Raine and I are the only coven heads inside of it, but currently we have a range of scouts, including Steve who I believe you were friends with, the bards against the throne, a couple of escaped prisoners and the owl lady, her dog-"

Raine jabs Darius in the ribs, "the owl lady, King, Luz, Lilith and ahm, the bird tube?"
"Hooty," I mumble, glad to hear of my friend's safety.
Hunter gives me a curious look, there's so much I want to tell him, but we haven't had any time. It's just event after event, even our date was interrupted.

"Well," Darius takes over, "we have a plan to stop the day of unity." He paused dramatically, allowing us a moment to take it in.

My fingers unclench; my shoulders relax. We are saved..
But Hunter starts laughing, "you'll never beat him. He has eyes everywhere, this won't work."

Raine takes over speaking, a crease forming in their forehead, "this is the only chance we have, and i promise I will not let it go to waste.. We're using Eda's curse to change the draining spell's course of action, she's going to replace my spot in the coven heads. During all the confusion, Eberwolf will release their flesh eating spiders, and we will go after Belos. Any questions?"

"Why are you telling us all this?"

Darius actually smiles, "well Little prince, we wanted you to know you're not alone anymore. This whole thing," he gestures wildly, "is in our hands now. You're not the only ones fighting."

Hunter's foot bounces against the floor, shaking his leg, he glares at the floor, "fine, whatever. But you could have told me this earlier, instead of leaving us here, alone."

There's a heartbeat of silence.

"I am so so sorry Hunter," Raine says, softly.

"Sorry isn't good enough," Hunter stands up, he outstretches his hand to me.
I accept it, pulling myself to my feet.

"Hunter," I pull him into hug, ignoring the other two in the room, "they did all they could. Darius saved your neck a while ago, he's the reason Gus and Willow helped us when we entered Hexide. Raine was comming up with a plan to put an end to all this... Isn't that what we wanted? A normal life?"

I feel the warm trace of tears slipping onto my shirt, Hunter moves attempting to hide it, "yeah-" he mumbles, "yeah you're right y/n."

"Fine," Hunter takes a breath, "Fine. I believe you. I'll do whatever i can do help."

Darius nods, his lips pressed into a thin line, "I have one thing to ask you though, Luz the human needs a guard or two. Will you two go with her?"

I immediately nod, Hunter seems more apprehensive, but he agrees in the end.

"It's so good to see you again Raine," I say.
"We can catch up properly after the day of unity," they smile, "and you better tell me about you and Hunter," they wink and my face flushes red, but I can't feel anything other than numbness.

Yeah, everything will be fine after the day of unity. If we succeed that is.

...
1316 words
...
A/N: we're getting into finale territory!