41. Rising Desire

Start from the beginning

    "Hm." Mitsi was aware of Mina's lingering gaze, but didn't meet it. "I'll tell you this, Mitsi. Make sure he's truly what you want before you make any commitment to him. Don't use him as a way to defy Micah and I. I don't think he'd appreciate being used like that, and I think that male is hiding a lot of anger and hurt that will someday break loose. I don't want you to be on the receiving end of it."

    "I don't believe Lysander would ever take his emotions out on me or anyone else. He's a good male, even if you and Micah don't want to see it." Mitsi shoved past Mina, but her sister caught her by the arm.

    "I do see it," Mina insisted. "But I also know what so much hidden pain can do to a person. You remember when Wynter almost killed Ellie because all of his hurt and trauma overwhelmed him and wiped any sense of rationality from his mind."

    "I don't want that to happen to you," she continued. "Lysander is a powerful warrior. If something happened and he tried to hurt you, I don't think you or any of us would be strong enough to stop him."

    "Then trust him not to hurt me," Mitsi replied, pulling out of her grasp. "Not every male is dangerous, Mina, and not every male is destined to hurt us, intentionally or otherwise. I should think you'd know that by now just by watching Lysander and Corbin."

    "I..." Mitsi paused, noting the hesitation in Mina's voice. "I'm trying. That argument Lysander and I had? It was about this. About you. I'm trying to believe him and I'm trying to keep an open mind about Corbin, but I just..." She shook her head angrily. "I would rather go through life never trusting anyone, than let us be hurt again."

    Mitsi rested a hand on Mina's shoulder. "I know, but I'm not you. You have to give me room to make my own decisions about who I will or won't trust. I know you're trying, but you have to try harder."

    Mina bit her lip, then nodded. "Come on. There's something I wanted to give you before training this afternoon." Mitsi smiled and fell in step with her sister once more.

◦༻❅༺◦

    Lysander smothered a grunt of disgust as he dragged another wooden dummy across the roof of the House of Wind and lined it up with a few others. He didn't know why he'd let Corbin talk him into doing this for him. He should be getting Mitsi for training, especially since it was already ten minutes past the time they usually began, but here he was.

    Lysander shivered as a particularly cold breeze nipped at the tips of his ears. His siphons glowed and warmth spread through his body, easing the chill. There was a scent of ice on the wind and clouds in the distance told of an approaching storm.

    It would likely be freezing rain and perhaps a few flurries of snow towards the end. Luckily, he wouldn't have to deal with it for long. He'd be leaving for the Dawn Court again at the next Exchange, which was only two days away.

    He smiled to himself, recalling the plan he'd formed. He'd already spoken to his uncle and Thesan about it, and received permission from the Rohese's family in the Winter Court as well. Hopefully, all three siblings would agree to his idea, but he would be happy even if Mitsi was the only one to go. It was her he wished to take along anyway.

    Lysander perked up as wingbeats filled the air. He straightened and caught sight of Corbin and Eira approaching, each carrying another person. Mina stepped away from Corbin as soon as he landed, and Mitsi waved goodbye when Eira took off once more.

    Lysander froze, his lips parting wordlessly as he looked Mitsi over. She wasn't wearing her usual dress and leggings. Nor was Mina wearing a shirt and pants, though Lysander paid her little mind. His gaze swept over Mitsi again, taking in every inch of the craftsmanship in her new outfit.