18. A Familiar Smile

For the first time since arriving in the Night Court, Mitsi woke feeling excited. She'd slept much better than usual and couldn't wait for the day to begin. True to his word, Lysander had come by the house yesterday to see if she and her siblings had reached a decision.

Much to Mitsi's delight, she didn't even have to push for her siblings to agree. They practically leaped at the chance to do something productive and beneficial for their shop back home. Lysander had promised to arrange for them to go to Emerie's that same day, while Mitsi had to wait a little longer to visit the orphanage.

She didn't mind though. Mina was going to come with her today while Micah returned to Windhaven once more. Mitsi would be glad for her sister's company. This was one of the few things they'd always enjoyed doing together, and she hoped it would help Mina settle in a little more.

Mitsi hovered before her wardrobe, tapping a finger against her cheek as she pondered what to wear. The morning looked warm through the windows of her bedroom and a quick trip onto the balcony had already proven her right. She wouldn't want to wear anything too thick or furry today.

Mitsi selected a soft blue dress and slipped it over her undergarments, then quickly laced up the side. She peered at herself in the mirror hanging from the inner left-hand door of the wardrobe. The dress was an older one, but it still fit like a glove and had always been one of her favorites.

The skirt was wide and flouncy, and hung down to her shins, giving her plenty of room to move. The square neckline and quarter-length sleeves were hemmed in delicate white lace, the only embellishment on the entire dress. Mitsi hummed to herself as she braided her hair and coiled it into a bun at the nape of her neck.

A few loose curls framed her face but she didn't bother tucking them aside. She scooped her locket off the table beside the bed and clasped it around her neck. Mitsi straightened her bedcovers before slipping on her shoes and hurrying out of the room.

Mina greeted her beside the stairs. "You look happy," she remarked, glancing Mitsi over.

"I am happy. I'm excited." They started down the stairs together. "Where's Micah?"

"Corbin already took him to Windhaven."

"Were you awake?"

Mina nodded, then rolled her eyes with a scoff. "Corbin sent Micah into my room to wake me, claiming Lysander would be coming soon. I think the prick just wanted to annoy me."

"It clearly worked," Mitsi giggled. "Did you speak to him before they left?"

"Of course not, though he stood in my doorway for nearly ten minutes before he got the hint. He's stubborn, I'll give him that."

Mitsi knit her brows. "Why would he stand in your doorway for ten minutes?"

"He said good morning, then told me he wasn't leaving until I did the same, or at least told him my name." Mina's lips curled into a haughty smirk. "I just looked the other way."

Mitsi sighed, shaking her head. "He's just trying to be friendly. Would it kill you to speak to him?"

"No, but I still don't intend to."

Mitsi said nothing more as they reached the first floor and spotted Azriel and Seren hovering in the entryway. Seren was dressed in a pair of Illyrian leathers which pointedly complimented Azriel's.

"There you are," Seren called. "I was about to come and make sure you were awake. Lysander will be here soon and we're heading to Ridgeback for the day." She gestured to herself and Azriel, then, noticing their confused expressions, she clarified, "It's another Illyrian warcamp near our eastern coast."