Under Control

"Kara!" Riley shouted as we walk through the door together.

"My own daughter chooses you over me." James pouts, walking through the entry to the kitchen. I pick up Riley and shower her in hugs, which is much reciprocated. Then I got the ear load of todays My Little Pony episode.

She eyes the bowl in my other hand. "What's that?"

"A bowl. Daddy and I made it on our date today."

"Ooooooo" The cheering came. She wiggled down and ran to her father, who was ignoring the questions his daughter was asking in 1 second intervals.

I laugh while putting the bowl on top of the fridge. While Riley was still asking questions like it was a rap, I turned on the TV to Bluey. Suddenly, the questions stopped and she ran to the TV.

"Thank you." James whispered. I gave him a smile before he pointed towards the room.

I follow him down the hallway and shut the door behind us. "What's wrong?"

He smiles and grabs my waist. Sure it's fast, but the way his hands feel so soft around me makes me feel we've been doing this for months.

"Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't want you to sleep with me tonight."

I raise my eyebrows in shock. "Uh- okay."

"I know this is fast. And I know me holding and touching you is fast. But like I said last night, this isn't just us. It's Riley too. And I don't want Riley to think your replacing her mother."

I smile and tilt my head, "I'm willing to go as slow as we need to, James. Not just for Riley. For you too."

His shoulders fall and he kissed my forehead. He lets go and stats to undress himself.

"Get out perv, I'm trying to take a shower."

I scoff at his joke and walk towards the door. As I leave I can here him snickering.

Suddenly, life makes a bit more sense.

2 hours later

James walks out of the bedroom in a fresh set a lounge wear. Dark blue sweats with a matching crew neck. He finds his way over to his daughter who's playing on the floor. I admire the bond from the kitchen and go to my phone to snap a few pictures.

As I'm deciding which one I'd like to be my lock screen, I get a call from Emma.

I go into the entry way and answer the call.

"Hey Em!"

Her voice didn't reach my level of excitement. "Hey Kay, Rachel called your office today."

Oh no. "What's she need?"

"Apparently evil step father had a brother. Who wasn't too pleased to know his brother was locked up. Supposedly, threatening Rachel's place and bringing weapons." She sounds like she's looking through something.

"That sounds more like a police investigation Em."

"It was, till the brother started shouting out threats to you. Police are now investigating a relationship between you two."

What the hell? James had showed up at the door and leaned against it, arm crossed and face concerned. "How would I have ties with any member of Rachel's family?"

Now James was even more confused.

"I don't know. I told the investigators your on vacation and you'll be back shortly. They seem to be very persistent on getting you in soon. Thought I'd give you a call first before Stark or the cops themselves."

"Thanks Emmy, I'll see you in a couple days."

The beep at the end of the call synced with my sigh. James wrapped his arms around me, hold me close to him. "What happened?"

"Someone from Rachel's family had been harassing her and myself apparently. We're gonna have to leave tomorrow night."

James nods his head against mine and runs his hands through my hair. Small hands wrap around my legs and I look down to see Riley.

"You okay Kara?"

"Yeah, yeah I'm okay. Let's go watch My Little Pony." I say with a fake smile. She grabs my hand and pulls me out of her father before running to the living room.

"Hey."

I turn to look back at James, "Don't worry, I got it under control."