Bad Drinks (IV)

long chapter + end of trial!!!

Parking lots always intrigued me.

A lot of bad stuff happened in parking lots. I had a case in March about a guy who was accused of murder in a parking lot. He also tried to drug me the day before the trial in a parking lot so that's fun.

But the courthouse parking lot seemed quieter than usual. Like the hustle and bustle of New York was muted. I had parked next to James.

Speak of the devil...

"Kara." He said as he held the door open for me. Although he stayed put, he sounded like he was out of breath. As if he was chasing after me.

"James, hey." I say with a smile. He meets me with his and I just melt again. Last night kept me up and I wasn't even mad about it. I would never sleep again if our conversation we had were to repeat in my head for the rest of my life.

His smile was the equivalent to air.

All of me felt like I needed it to survive.

When he smiled, if felt like the world was finally at peace. Like a movie just went into some cringy slo-mo.

"We got the evidence in. Riley is on stand first, right?" He asks as we walk into the actual courtroom. I approved his questions as we excuse ourselves past multiple people.

"Kara!" Riley's voice lifted the eyes and moods of others. Including myself. I picked her up and rested her on my hip.

I give her a little tickle. "Hey you, bein' good for daddy?" I ask as the three of us walk pass the fence and to our table. She nods her head with a little hum

"Yep. I helped Daddy go to bed last night, didn't I?" She asks, leaning over to view her father who was behind me. Very close behind me. I turn to look at him with a small smirk on my face.

"You needed help sleeping last night?" I asked him in a teasing tone. He smiles down to me and I melt but keep my ears afloat.

"I had some events happen to me that may have kept me up. Luckily, I had this monster with me." He says, directing his attention from me, to Riley while tickling her, then back to me.

God never let that smile fall.

"Okay Ry, the lady up there is gonna call you up and your gonna just answer our questions. And you have to be honest." I say while looking to the girl in a white dress. She nods her head before finishing the other half of our deal.

"Or I can't meet Alfredo. I promise I'll tell the truth." She says before we say our goodbyes and let her sit with her grandma who still hates me.

Judge O'Connell gives me a small smile as she sits down. I give her the same before she does the same to Dylan. I look to James and although his hands were in his lap, it felt as though they were squeezing my own to give comfort. I smiled at him and he just stared, which made me a mix of emotions. Sad he didn't smile (since it was quickly becoming one of my favorite things about him) and flustered he was watching me.

"Everyone please rise." And everyone followed. She gave us the mandatory monologue before calling Riley up to the stand. James started bouncing his leg, and part of me wanted to just rest my hand on it, to ease the anxiety. But I know there is no way I could help. That was his daughter. No matter what, he would always worry for and about her.

Hell, my leg was bouncing.

Riley gives the oath and she struggles to get onto the stand so the officer helps her. She gets up there and waves at everyone. When she waves to her Dad, she giggles, making the courtroom fall in awe.