Bad Luck

"Daddy. You have to make sure your breath smells nice when you kiss Kara."

Riley still never fails to put a smile on my face.

"She's right there." James says while Riley fixes his tie on the counter top. "She can hear everything Ry."

She looks to me and does an 'oop' face before giggling it away. I shake my head before seeing James turn to me. He looked so much better in suits when he's not dressing for court.

"Okay Kara, Daddy has to be home by 9:00. Okay?"

Emma and Luke offered to watch Riley. The 6 of us, Steve, Peggy, Luke, Emma, James, and I all went out for drinks the night we won the case. Rachel watched Rylie, giving her some time to explain everything.

Then I went home with James.

Not like that you freaks.

I went home with him to explain the custody with Riley and how that will work. Then I went home.

Now, I'm back and ready to get some food. I hope we're getting food.

"Yes ma'am!" I say as Emma and Luke walk back from the living room into the kitchen where we were.

"Barnes, I trust you." Emma days in her "intimidating" voice. "But so help me God, if she has a scratch on her body when she gets back to her place tonight, I will personally saw your limbs off one by one and donate them to sea. You understand?"

"Emma, chillax." Luke and I say almost in unison.

"Emma, if she comes back with a receipt, you can do all of that and make a documentary about it." He says before grabbing his leather jacket off the hook.

Rylie had Em and Luke distracted before we even got out the door.

"So, are you gonna tell us where we're going?" I ask, following him to his SUV. Snow was clumping between my brownish chestnut UGG boots that were paired nicely with some black yoga pants, black turtle neck and a matching Chanel jacket. I never wore this jacket, since I'm
not much into luxury stuff. But Tony it bought it for me on my 21st. He doesn't really know what to gift a 21 year old girl.

"Nope." He says before opening my door for me. I have a quick smile before ducking in. He shut the door and lakes over to his side. All he had told me about this date was to dress warm.

"Are we at least eating? Because I'm very hungry." I say looking over to him as he backs out of the driveway. He gives me a smile that makes me melt again as he looks behind him to back out of the driveway and into the street, also filled with snow.

The city was stunning from ground zero. There were yellowish lights on every tree. Snow covering the business signs hanging on the dark red bricks. Dogs looking out apartment windows, barking at the squirrels who are just trying to find a warm tree. People, couples, kids. All of them running around the city, embracing the Christmas and winter seasons before new years hits.

Then I saw them. "Pull over right here." I say looking to James. He contorts his eyebrows before doing the task, no questions asked.

I get out and James takes that as a sign to do that same. I follow the dirty prints the size of a silver dollar until the burrow of blankets and dropped scarfs hold a grey cat and a black and white border collie. Both very young.

"I saw them a couple days ago in my way to work. I was going to pick them up and take them to the shelter but they had tags on. I did some research last night when I got after seeing them again and I found the obituary do their owners." I say petting the grey cat who was welcome to cuddles. It was the puppy who felt more reluctant. "I would take them but I barely have room for Alfredo."