chapter 17: harvest festival

Start from the beginning

But she, she wanted something more from this man. Zazi then asked her to keep a secret. At least till Katrina left

They finally caught up with the others.
They were already ready to swim. Zazi and binti knew Anna had a thing for ondi, so they told them to jump together holding each other.

Ondi only agreed because of the pressure, he secretly wanted that to be zazi. When Binti was undressing, zazi noticed some wounds on her back.
"Binti what happened? Were you punished?"
Binti panicked. She forgot she had those wounds. She said the first thing that came to her mind.
"Zazi, we're slaves, when are we ever without wounds?"
Zazi sighed and gave her a side hug.

The whole time Anna made sure to take her time with ondi. Binti was busy with Tito playing with him and Sebastian wasted no time in throwing his charms on zazi. He would show her affection, whisper how pretty she was and stare at her so hard the girl would die blushing.

"Ondi, how has been at the farm?"
"Its been like it always is. Hard." He answered Anna absent mindedly as he was so occupied with how affectionate Sebastian was treating zazi and how zazi was responding. He was, flirting with her. How? He's white..

Zazi can't be this stupid. White men have never wanted anything from black women other than to use them. They see them as easy toys to satisfy their needs. With no commitment, no responsibility.
Seeing him touch her chin, he found himself asking out loud.
"What is going on between zazi and Sebastian?" That's when anna who was so busy talking looked the direction ondi was looking and saw the two. She knew he was asking out of jealousy.
'He shouldn't want her, zazi loves someone else, he should want me!'
Without thinking, or thinking this will help ondi get out of the zazi fantasy, she found herself spilling the tea.

"They are together. They have been for a while now. Zazi really likes Sebastian and Sebastian likes zazi. They might actually end up being the first black and white couple. People will see that even white can black can love....."
Suddenly ondi got up looking mad and go out of the water. She went for his clothes as he walked away carrying them in his hands.

Zazi was too busy blushing she didn't even realized ondi leaving.

Binti saw him get out of the water but thought he went to get something so she didn't take a second glace.

A few minutes passed that's when zazi noticed Anna sitting alone on a stone looking sad.
"Anna what happened? Where did ondi go?"
Anna just burst out into tears and hugged zazi. She didn't say a word. She couldn't.

'The man I love so dearly love so dearly loves you stupid, and I can't even be mad at you cause this isn't your fault.'

Anna was down the whole time.
"I know what will cheer you up. We should take you to the harvest festival!" Zazi declared.
"What's a harvest festival?"
"Its a ceremony to our gods thanking them for the successful harvest in our fields."
The slaves had a little of the farm and that's where they got their food.
"But that's for your community, are you sure I'll fit in."
"Don't worry, Binti is excellent at disguises, you will both blend in."
Before Sebastian could say anything in that confusion he had, zazi just said. "Your coming."

They all dressed in traditional and zazi put her signature waist beads

Sebastian felt a little out of place at the harvest festival.

As a warm up, one of the men playing the nyatiti called Zazi.

"Zazi! The mirror of beauty, who inspired our recent song. Please step forward. "

Zazi got up excitedly.

The musicians took their instruments and started singing.they had a drummer, nyatiti, balafon and muturiru (flute).