XX

The wind was harsh and the raindrops hurt as the girls stepped outside. Irene shivered, but not from the cold. The energy around her was stronger than ever, making her fingertips twitch and her heart pound in her chest. She braced herself against the strong weather, her arms wrapped around herself as she followed her teacher out. The only thing keeping her going was the thought of getting her little sister and her girlfriend back.

Anetra was hesitant to follow them. She watched as Amethyst followed close behind Irene, and even Jax and the twins went out before her. She took a deep breath, looking down at Marcia who hadn't left her side.

"You should go back to the room..." She said. "If something were to happen to you I'd never forgive myself and-"

"No." Marcia held onto her arm, looking up at her with pleading eyes. "I'm going with you. I want to be by your side, through it all..." She whispered. "Because I love you..."

Anetra didn't expect to hear those words tonight. "I-I..." She stuttered. She was used to walking alone. Hearing those words spoken out loud hit her right in the heart. She leaned down, pressing a soft kiss to Marcia's lips. "I love you too..." She pulled her closer to her side. "Just...stay close and don't leave my side..."

Marcia nodded quickly, snuggling under her arm. The two girls rushed to catch up to the others before they disappeared into the mist. It was thicker and darker than ever before, and they struggled to see through it. Even the lightning above did little to cut through it.

Sasha led the way in silence, Irene coming up to walk beside her. The younger girl looked up at her. "I really am sorry for what I said this morning..." She sighed. "I-I just see you as someone much more wiser and skilled than me. So I thought you'd be able to help more..."

Sasha was still quiet for a moment, the rain mixing with the tears that ran down her face. "...I don't deserve what I have." She spoke after a moment. "I don't deserve the abilities I've gained. All they've caused is pain..."

Irene looked down at the ground. "That's how I feel about mine..." She said quietly.

Sasha glanced at her, letting out a small sigh before reaching out and laying a hand on her shoulder. "You're strong for doing this..." She told her student. "It's so easy to just give up after losing people so close to you..." She trailed off when becoming lost in her own memories.

A tear ran down Irene's face. "They're my world." She whispered. "If I could take their place, I would."

Thunder roared louder the closer they got to the creek. The girls stayed close together, falling into a tense silence. Amethyst had been staring at the ground, keeping to herself. Her body wanted to run back to her dorm, where she'd be safe and warm and comforted by Jonbers and Peppa and their antics. But her heart was focused on Aura. And she was determined to tell her that she loves her too.

"M-Miss Colby?" She asked quietly, still having a question on her mind. And she'd say anything right now to get her mind off of how scared she was. "Y-You said you can't have kids. So is K-Kerri..."

"Shh." Sasha hushed her, her eyes focused forward as the sound of running water grew louder. "I'm trying to think of a plan."

Anetra glanced up at her teacher. "You...You don't have a plan?"

"If I do what I did all those years ago, then the potential for this happening again is still strong." Sasha said, closing her eyes as she tried to think. "But..." She spoke her thoughts aloud. "If I close off the creek..."

She was interrupted by a terrified cry. She turned around to find Sugar trembling and falling to her knees. She pulled at her hair, her eyes cloudier than they were when they had first left the building. "I-It's back..." She whimpered out. "It's not happy with me..."