II

Amethyst thanked Aura for showing her where her room was, gazing at the girl as she walked away before she turned her attention to her room. She unlocked the door, nudging it open and smiling when she stepped inside.

Two of the beds were already set up, but her roommates were nowhere to be seen. Amethyst took a deep breath before she made her way to the unclaimed bed. It was set on top of large bookcases that were already half filled by thick books. She tried to read the titles, but they were in a language she didn't recognize.

She grabbed one to study it closer, jumping when lightning flashed outside the window and loud thunder followed it. She dropped the book to the floor, turning to face the window. She gasped, frozen in place.

A bird stared back at her, watching and studying her closely from where it perched on the windowsill. It was the same bird she had just seen in the hallway. Amethyst slowly leaned down, picking the book up and placing it back on the bookshelf, all while keeping eye contact with the bird.

"Miss Colby's bird spook you already?" A new voice asked, making Amethyst jump again. She turned around to see a blonde girl walking into the room, looking like she was about to introduce herself before she tripped over her own feet and dropped all of the text books that had been in her arms.

"Wow baby, nice way to introduce yourself." Another girl stepped inside behind her, a small smirk on her face as she carried her own books to her desk. She turned to Amethyst and looked her over before giving her a friendly smile. "I'm assuming you're our new roommate. I'm Peppa." She introduced herself before motioning towards the other girl. "And that's my girlfriend, Jon-"

"Jonbers Blonde!" The other girl pulled herself up, almost tripping over her books this time. She smiled and tried straightening herself out. "But you can call me JB or Jay or Blondie. But not Jonny. Never Jonny." Her face turned serious.

Amethyst giggled a bit, walking over and kneeling down to help her pick up her books. "Alright, Never Jonny. I'm Amethyst."

Peppa laughed and Jonbers raised a brow as she stacked her text books back on top of each other. "Oh you've got jokes. But cool name. Are you one of those girls who's all into crystals and stuff?"

Amethyst glanced towards her bags, helping the girl carry her books to one of the desks in the room. "...Possibly-"

"You'd get along with Irene. She's some sort of swamp witch who's all into that sort of-" She was interrupted by more lighting and thunder outside, the walls that surrounded them creeking.

A look of panic shot across Peppa's face. "Jay-" She said in a hushed whisper. "We aren't supposed to say that word."

Amethyst was confused, tilting her head at her. "What word?"

Peppa sighed, starting to unpack one of her suitcases. "The W word. Anything to do with that sort of thing is highly prohibited here..."

That got Amethyst's attention immediately, and she wanted to know more. "Because they used to populate this land, right?" She asked, turning to her own bags to start setting up her desk.

Peppa nodded. "That's part of the reason. But I'm sure there's so much more to it. There has to be..." She trailed off before looking back at her girlfriend. "Don't go accusing people of being that when that could get them into serious trouble-"

"I'm not-" Jonbers said quickly, pulling herself up to sit on her desk. "I'm just quoting what Luxx used to call her before they got together. She does kinda look like one."

Amethyst's thoughts wandered as their conversation continued. She looked back towards the window. The bird had gone, leaving just raindrops hitting the glass. There was something off about it. She couldn't put her finger on it.