XVII

Irene's face fell at the sound of her words. She held her hand tighter. "W-What do you mean...?"

Luxx shivered heavily, desperately trying to pull her girlfriend back into the bed with her. "I've never felt like this before..." Her voice sounded small and far away. "Like...kind of like I'm fading..."

Irene shook her head, settling back onto the bed and pulling her into her arms. She felt frail and tinier than usual, and Irene feared that if she squeezed her too hard or made one wrong move she might break. "D-Don't say that, baby. I'm gonna fix this, I swear I'll fix this..."

Luxx just shivered, her hands weakly grasping at the fabric of Irene's shirt. "It's so cold..." She whispered. "I've never felt cold like this before..."

Irene held her closer and turned the heating pad back on, growing more panicked with each passing second. She knew whatever was causing this wasn't just something that could be cured by medicine and a doctor. She needed to act fast and she needed to know what exactly to do so she didn't make any mistakes. She couldn't risk messing up and making her girlfriend's condition worse.

She soothed Luxx to sleep, placing a hand on her chest. Her heartbeat was slow and felt small against her hand, but it was there. She watched as her chest shallowly moved up and down before pulling herself up again. She tucked pillows and blankets around her to keep her as warm as possible, kissing her forehead. "I'll be back..." She whispered. "Just hang in there."

Luxx didn't make a sound, just laid limply in all of the blankets. Irene sighed before grabbing her bag and leaving the room. She was certain her teacher could help her, she just had to convince her to.

She quickly made her way away from her section of dorms to get to her literature class and prayed that Sasha didn't have a class in there right now. The last thing she needed was to wait much longer. Or have students overhear what she had to say.

She tried to get to the classroom as fast as possible, but was stopped by her name being called out.

"Irene!"

Bosco's voice made her freeze. She turned around to see her little sister running towards her, a smile on her face as she quickly grabbed onto Irene's arm. "You won't believe what happened!"

"Lower your voice, Coco. We're in the hallway." Irene reminded her. She really didn't have time for this. But she couldn't just ignore what her sister had to say.

Bosco lowered her voice. "Jasmine asked me out on a date." She struggled to contain her excitement, her eyes practically sparkling. "I think she really likes me-"

Irene's whole body went stiff in panic. She knew this day would come, but she had hoped she would've lifted the curse by now. She started to shake her head, trying to think of something to say. "Y-You can't do that, how are you going to-"

"Anetra said she'd drive us somewhere. She said she'd give us some space and do something with Marcia while she waited to take us home." Bosco had never sounded so happy, lightly bouncing up and down like an excited child. "I'm so excited. We're going to that little town to-"

"No." Irene interrupted, shaking her head as her heart pounded in her chest. "That's not happening. You're not going on a date with her."

Bosco stopped talking, her excited expression draining as her face fell. "...W-Why not?" She asked sadly. "Jasmine's nice. Don't you like her?"

Irene shook her head, trying to hide her growing panic. "She's fine Bosco, but you aren't going out with her. I can't allow that."

"Why not?" Bosco questioned, starting to become more frustrated than anything. "I didn't have a problem when you started dating Luxx. I was happy for you!"