Chp. 24 Begining

Finally, morning comes and Y/N wakes up with a start. His body aches all over and he still feels exhausted. He looks down and notices that both On-jo and Cheong-san have left his arms. He then spots them talking to the rest of the group in a small circle. They don't notice his waking and Y/N just watches them silently for a moment.

Then Cheong-san finally feels his stare and turns to him, their eyes meeting. The boy smiles. Gyeong-su then spots Y/N as well and gestures for him to join their circle.

"You really slept in," Gyeong-su teases, poking the boy's arm.

"What if you guys all just woke up really early," Y/N retaliates.

The other boy rolls his eyes, "You were literally the last one to wake up."

Y/N raises one eyebrow and points to Dae-su, who's still sleeping behind him, "Not the last."

"Close enough." Y/N pouts but can't help smiling in the end. I'm so glad that the people closest to me are still here.

The boys then start listening to the general conversation. Eventually, Dae-su wakes up and the conversation leads to random topics.

Then Dae-su abruptly stands up, "Ha-ri...I have something to admit." The older girl makes a questioning expression while Woo-jin face plants. Dae-su clears his throat and looks down at the floor in nervousness. "So you see..."

The students who were in the boy's group all cringe, already knowing about Dae-su's crush. "Um," Y/N starts, he glances at Ha-ri then nears Dae-su, "Don't do it," he whispers.

But the boy shakes his head, "It must be said." A determined look paints his face and he takes a step into the circle. He puts a hand on his heart and stares deeply into Ha-ri's eyes. The older girl throws a confused look at her brother but he just shakes his head sadly. "Ha-ri," Dae-su starts, "I love you." Her eyes widen. "Will you go out with me?"

At first she's too stunned to speak, but then her lips pull up in a smile. It's the scariest smile anyone there has ever seen. She stands up and her eyes turn deadly as she claps her hands together. Everyone gawks at her in fear and even Woo-jin trembles a bit. But Dae-su is clueless and moves closer to the older girl. Her smile fades and she kicks him in the stomach.

Dae-su stumbles backward and opens his mouth to say something but quickly shuts up as Ha-ri pulls her arm back for a punch. Quickly Woo-jin stands up and attempts to restrain her. "You fucker!" she yells as she retries to attack Dae-su. "Come here! I'll kill you!" Min-jae also joins Woo-jin as the girl fights back even more. "I'll kill you, you hear!"

The boy cowers in fear and tries hiding behind a cart filled with balls. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry," he cries, clutching tighter.

Y/N desperately tries to hold in his laughter. He claps a hand over his mouth to muffle the laughs that escape his mouth. Everyone else is also doing the same, mainly out of fear of Ha-ri. The girl continues yelling and flailing her arms. No one doesn't believe that she will genuinely kill the poor boy.

Eventually, the older girl calms down and the group starts talking about ways to escape the storage room. "We can't stay here for much longer," Joon-yeong states, "We need to leave as soon as possible."

Hyo-ryung crosses her arms over herself, "But it's safe here."

Y/N shakes his head, "We still have no food, or water."

"We have to leave," Joon-yeong repeats.

"But how?" Woo-jin questions, "There are zombies everywhere." The students stay in silence for a few moments.

Then Y/N stands up and looks around the room for a bit, thinking. "What if we use the ball carts as some sort of defense."

"What do you mean?" Ha-ri raises one eyebrow.

The boy scrunches his eyebrows together, "We could tie the carts together and form a circle."

"That's actually a pretty good plan," Joon-yeong comments.

"What if it doesn't work," On-jo chews her lip nervously, looking up at her brother.

Y/N smiles down at her, "It will."

"Okay," Su-hyeok stands up, "Let's get started then." He reaches for Y/N's hand and squeezes it affectionately. The rest of the group then stand up and start grabbing the carts. They quickly bring them to the middle and try forming a circle.

Mi-jin spots a piece of baseball equipment and puts it over her arm. She grins at her discovery, "We should also try to make some armor."

Ha-ri nods and picks up another piece, "It can help us defend ourselves against zombies."

The students then start collecting random equipment and putting them on. However, Y/N doesn't bother and continues focusing on the cart fence. Then as Dae-su searches for some armor, he comes across a chocolate bar. He lifts it up and looks at it in awe. Food! His stomach grumbles.

But the bar is spotted by Joon-yeong who snatches it from his hands, "You're sharing this, right?" He looks at him pointedly, cocking one eyebrow up.

Dae-su chuckles nervously, "Of course, of course..." Everyone stops what they're doing and forms a circle around the boy who has the bar, desperately hungry. Joon-yeong peels off the wrapper and takes a small piece before passing it to his left.

They continue this way and it eventually reaches Y/N. Even though the boy is also starving he shakes his head and passes it down to his sister. "I'm not hungry," he smiles reassuringly, but On-jo knows he's lying. It'd be impossible to not be hungry, no one in the group had eaten for days. She gives him a worried look but continues the pattern.

Meanwhile, Dae-su grows hungrier and hungrier. How can I be last? He complains in his head, I'm the one who found the candy...god when can I have some, there will be none left for me.

Finally, the bar reaches the person next to the boy and he greedily snatches it away after they're done. He grins happily at the chocolate and pops the last of it in his mouth. Licking his lips once he's finished. Everyone stares at him wide-eyed and he looks at them in confusion, "What?"

"Woo-jin hasn't gone yet," Y/N says. Ha-ri glares daggers at Dae-su and he winces.

The boy who missed out on the bar sighs, "It's fine, let's just get going." The rest of the students hesitantly drop it and go back to what they were doing before. Y/N looks at the storage room in slight anxiety, Please let us get through this alive, I won't be able to handle it if we lose someone else.