Chapter VIII: Act I

Start from the beginning

All of a sudden, the woman disappeared.

"Huh!? She just walked near that small waterfall and then suddenly vanished! Let's go take a closer look," Paimon urged.

The group of four entered a nearby cave entrance that was hidden away from plain sight due to the ingrown vines growing near it.

"Paimon thought this cave would lead to a village or something, but uh, it looks like that's not the case," Paimon states.

Paimon squinted and took notice of the woman the group followed after.

"Look, she's sitting over there. Wait, she couldn't possibly be living here, could she? Uh, what should we do now? Do we try asking her for directions again?" Paimon asked as she turned to her companions and father figure.

Aether hummed softly. "Sure, let's give it another shot," he answered.

"That's not a good idea, but you do you, I guess..." (F/n) mumbled from behind their peach, tail swaying in contentment.

(Y/n) deadpanned at the feline before deciding to stay near the entrance.

Whatever that woman was currently entranced by, he didn't like the pleasant smell it let off.

"Alright then, it's not like we have anyone else we can ask... Even if she's not very friendly, we just need her to point us in the right direction, that's all," Paimon states as she and Aether got closer to the woman, "Oh? Mmm! What a lovely smell! It's coming from that censer over there. This is definitely not your typical place to call home, but at least it smells nice! Hmm, maybe living here wouldn't be too bad after all..."

Aether quickly brought a hand to his head as he felt a headache start to take over. "Ugh! Uh oh..." He huffed out.

(F/n)'s nose twitched. "Ewww, the smell reminds me of something sour," they mumbled in discomfort.

Paimon stared at Aether with a concerned look. "Huh, what's the matter? You don't look too good," she points out.

"Something's... not right!" Aether answered.

Paimon's eyes widened. "What? Is the smell making you feel sick? Strange, Paimon doesn't feel anything..." She retorted.

Aether shook his head. 'I need to get out of here! I think I'm gonna pass... out...' He thought before suddenly falling straight to the ground.

(Y/n)'s eyes widened as he quickly reached Aether's side.

(F/n)'s eyes widened in horror as they reached a hand out to the (H/c)-haired male. "Wait, don't-" they cried out.

(Y/n)'s body automatically slumped in his leaning and crouched position.

Paimon's eyes widened in worry. "What's happening? Aether? (Y/n)? This is no time for a nap! C'mon, wake up..." She pleaded.

✧˖*°࿐

(Y/n) gripped his head as he slowly opened his eyes.

Bright light from an illuminated tree was the first thing the male saw.

"Aether? (F/n)? Paimon?" The male asked, looking around him before looking forward once more.

Star-shaped pupils expanded when their owner felt a familiar warmth urging him to come forward.

'Where am I...? Is this... Irminsul. Wait, what? Where did that additional voice come from? And why did it sound like... me?' (Y/n) wondered with furrowed brows.

"Irminsul... that's what that voice said. But, this feeling... it feels warm. Like a mother reaching out for her child," he whispered.

(Y/n) walked forward as he moved in closer to the giant illuminated tree.

"You're quite a beautiful one, though."

As he got closer, the male felt the world around him start to crumble and wake up.

(E/c) eyes widened when he saw a glitched-like figure standing right in front of the tree with a sweet smile on their lips.

"Wake up, your friends await you," the figure encouraged.

✧˖*°࿐

Paimon leaned on (Y/n)'s arm with a worried look on her face. "...Paimon already knows she asked, but... are you sure it's not this serious? Aether even woke up before (Y/n)!" She exclaimed.

(F/n) was rocking back and forth on the ball of their heels with a complicated but flushed look on their face.

They quickly sent a reassuring smile to the fairy-like companion. "Like Collei said, (Y/n) should wake up soon."

The girl, Collei, nodded her head. "Yes, you three can relax... Believe me, Master is extremely knowledgeable. If he says that he's going to be alright like the Traveler here, then there's absolutely nothing to worry about," she answered.

Collei turned her purplish hues to the now awakened (Y/n) who sat up and gripped his head between his hands.

"Oh, are you awake now?" She asked.

Paimon quickly turned toward her father in relief.

(F/n)'s eyes widened when they saw the familiar distant look in (Y/n)'s eyes.

'Just what did you see in that dream-like state... (Y/n)?' They wondered.

(Y/n) lifted his head. "Where are we?" He asked in a deep voice due to his voice being dry.

Collei gave a sweet smile. "This is Gandharva Ville. It was originally built by scholars from Sumeru as a place to rest in the rainforest. Now it's mainly used by the Forest Rangers as a base of operations. My name is Collei. I'm a Trainee Forest Ranger. My master and I found you and Traveler here passed out during our patrol, so we brought you here," she answered.

(Y/n) gave a thankful smile to the young female. "Thank you," he retorted.

Collei shook her hands in front of her face, feeling flustered at having all the attention on her. "Oh n-no, no thanks are necessary! I didn't do anything, really. By the way, how are you two feeling now? Any discomfort?" She retorted before looking between Aether and (Y/n).

(Y/n) stuck his tongue out as he felt something bitter finally come to light.

Aether just replied with a nod and a soured look.

Collei just laughed. "Oh, haha... That's Master's herbal medicine you're both tasting. He gave you both some while you two were unconscious. Before I forget, Master mentioned that you two should take more medicine once you wake up."

Collei walked over to where some of the medicines were but accidentally dropped two cups by bumping into them.

"Ah, whoops!" She exclaimed.

Another voice appeared, startling the group.

"Collei, what's the matter? Were you trying to retrieve the medicine? As I've already told you, you must be careful with these... Alright, I'll get it for you once I'm finished here."

╔═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╗

╚═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╝