[Swim]

[End of chapter - notes I'd like to add^^]

Ao'nung and Roxto had the time of their lives laughing at Lo'ak who was still hopelessly no where near close to riding his Ilu properly. You hear their laughter in the distance. Something that reminded you of the fact that you weren't alone.

"Well, teach me then." Neteyam's voice rang in your ears like an annoying bell. You could tell he wanted to say more, something more teasing to sum it up. You didn't like it. One more thing to add to the your 'dislike list'. It has only been a day since the family's arrival and you were sure it could fill two pages worth of writing.

You briefly told him what to do, navigating him through it. It crossed your mind to give him a physical example and feel of how it was properly done. However, that meant you would have to ride the Ilu... with him. So, you immediately wipe that uncomfortable thought from your mind.

You try to think of how Tsireya would explain this, her kind and gentle voice guiding the way.

"Get on." You start off simply and when Neteyam successfully does so you continue, "Make a bond, gently." Your voice was soft, softer than usual and you didn't even pick up on the fact. It was not at all how your sister would have done it, but everyone had their weaknesses.

"Gently." Neteyam repeated sounding sceptical and more like a question than a statement as he gave you a contemplating stare from the corner of his eye, encouraging you to explain. You intake a breath meaning for it to come out as a sign, but you only let out a breathly laugh.

You look down from beside Neteyam and look up after a short while to find his eyes on you forcing down a smile that was making its way across his face. Neteyam had no idea why he felt...well he didn't quite know the feeling.

"It might come as a surprise to you, but yes, be gentle." You assure him.

"Gentle." He repeats again in a different tone than before as he nods.

Neteyam didn't fully comprehend why he had to be kind to this creature. After all it flung him into the water not long ago. You reach over him for his hand and you guide him into making a correct bond with the creature. It didn't thrash around like before which Neteyam was silently grateful for.

Suddenly it hit you. You were close. Very close. Too close to him.

You back away and signal him to carry on. He was good and he learnt fast. His good performance reflected on his teacher too after all. If you were unable to even teach something so simple to a bunch of outsiders, what were you?

Lo'ak scoffed as he saw his brother ride. He couldn't believe he had learned faster than him. It was a silent and unspoken challenge between the two siblings. Neteyam found out rather quickly that doing so would trick his little brother into doing practically anything. Lo'ak wasn't easily motivated when it came to most things. So, it had been a cheat card for Neteyam for quite some time.

Tsireya let out a quiet gasp beside Lo'ak. She quickly turned to you and flashed a small, grateful smile your way. Maybe you decided to befriend Neteyam after all. She hopes she is right in her assumption.

Neteyam continues to ride the Ilu boasting about it to Lo'ak. He doesn't know why, but he feels the need to get your attention. Did he have it? He looked at where you had been last. No, he didn't have it.

Ao'nung had swam towards you without paying much attention to the Sully's. For the first time Neteyam was the one to scoff. How could he consider you and him friends? How could you be?

Neteyam was at a dead end. The way you talked to him not so long ago was good.It's as if you didn't detest him and his family like you say you do. But, he could tell the next time you met that he was going back to square one.

"I give Tsireya's a seven out of ten." You rated Lo'ak, who your sister was assisting.

"Bonus points for making it funny." You continue to joke about his failed attempts at riding the Ilu. Your brother laughed wholeheartedly.

"He is hopeless." He added back with a snicker. Ao'nung swam back towards Roxto who was making it his goal to pester Lo'ak and make him lose his focus.

You finally turned to Neteyam. He was already looking at you. You wondered for how long. You thought he had maybe caught on to what you and Ao'nung were saying about his brother. I mean, it is a possibility.

A broad, almost sly grin spread across his face. As you stare at him, you disregard the possibility.It took him little to no effort to jump off the Ilu after swimming up to you. He was boasting, showing off and you enjoyed it silently.

He looked at you as if he expected you to say something. You continue your face-off without uttering a single word. You raise your head in question.

"No congratulations?" He tried to joke with you. He swam closer. So casually, it made you frown.

Did these Na'vi have no regard for personal space?

"What? Want me to praise you?" You asked, leaning down, close. "You'd like that, wouldn't you?"

It seemed more like a statement than a question to you. Neteyam could tell it was intentional just by the way you looked. The way you looked at him, more specifically.

.

.

.

You look away -again you note- and swim to shore. Neteyam's expresstion turns into a confused one.After a moment, he slowly follows, but then looks back to see the rest engaged in something else. He decides to pick up his pace, though it proves to be difficult to swim through the water.

You hear movement in the water behind you, and you turn around to see Neteyam. He caught up after a short while.

"You're slow." You voiced a complaint. Your 'harsh' comment was unmotivated.

He walks up to you, feet now touching the soft sand under the water still waist high. Taking a step backwards - still facing him - you walk out of the water now fully.

"You're done. Why bother me more." You stop walking.

"Is that it?" He asked with a frown as if he were disappointed. He couldn't hide the grin that played at the corner of his lips. Tempting.

You turn around to leave not with bothering him.

"Earlier in the water, what were you saying?" This question made you turn your head to him. You respond with an irritated hum. A signal for him to continue.

He made awkward and unreadable movements with his hands before concluding, "Finger talk." You give him a stare from the corner of your eye, your back facing him.

"Tsireya will teach it to you." You reply after a pause and walk away.

Neteyam really couldn't get you. One minute you were nice to him, then the next you were staring at him as if he shouldn't have been born. He thought you two could get along. Well, not really, but he was forced to try and make this more bearable for his siblings.

He thought that if he could get you to lay off the other two would follow. He wasn't that stupid unlike his brother. (He says it with love.) He could tell by the way everyone looked at you, the way Ao'nung and Roxto waited for your approval before insulting them. He could tell just by the way you walked.

"That moron." He curses and glanced up to see you turned towards him. He takes a harsh breath.

You heard him, judging by the way you scowled like you had a new-found hatred.

Oh, great mother.

[ This story will be a slow-burn if that wasn't clear.^^ It is really up to you if you want to be the legitimate son of the Chief or adopted. It doesn't effect the story so dream away. I take suggestions and requests, but it's going to be a 50/50 to actually go through with it because I already have something in mind for this story. <3 ]