THE OTHER BROTHER

Start from the beginning

THABISILE
Shame has taken a toll over me. I have been locked up in this toilet for the past hour. Ashamed of the weakness that landed her to cheating. Well, it’s technically not cheating. She broke up with Thabo – gave him the amount that he wanted and never looked back. She looks at herself in the mirror and takes a deep breath. Did she really sleep with her sister’s ex-boyfriend? She chucks not believing. Perhaps…
“Thabisile. Can you please open the door so we could talk.” He says. Skhosane doesn’t seems to understand anything.  I wipe the tear drop falling off.
“Just a second.” I shout back. His semen is still leaking out of me, and I do not have any pantyliner with me. His cologne is hovering all over my clothes. How will I face Khanyisile?
“Ow God What have I done?” I sink back to the toilet seat. What she doesn’t know will not kill her, right. I stand up and fix my skirt.
“Are you okay?” His concerned self will not take me out of the guilt I’m feeling.
“I will be fine. I am just afraid of Khanyisile.” I take a set on the couch. Oh no, the couch is also wet with his cum. He swallows. I bet he didn’t think about all of it. The consequences and the outcome of our sin.
“I didn’t think. I was just stressed and…”
“And I was there to help release that stress because I am a weakling – right?” He can’t use me like this for his own benefits!
“What. No! It’s just that…” He takes a deep breath and moves away from me. Men are dogs. How did I stoop so low? Thabo played me and now this good for nothing fool does the same.
“It’s okay Skhosane.” Somehow, I am hurt. How did I degrade myself this low?
“Thabisile. As much you will not believe me – I have no regrets on to what happened. If given a chance I would do it again Yes, Khanyisile is my ex and I will forever lover her with everything in me but in all honesty I have also developed some feelings for you.” He says taking me out of the down time moment. I look at him and stop breathing for second.
“What are you saying to me?” I ask. I decide to face him.
“I mean, it wouldn’t hurt giving it a try.” He says. I pause my breathing for a second. Has he lost it?
“Skhosane…”
“I know it came out as shocker but look at it on the bright side. The connection is there and we click.” He shrug his shoulders. My mouth is left hanging. No words coming out of my mouth. I sit still. This cannot be happening.
-
-
-
Arriving home, I find the house invaded by the police. This life we are used to. It doesn’t bug me any longer. I step out of the car and walk past everyone. But my mothers sob freezes me on the spot.
“What is going?” I ask standing beside her. She turns to face me and shakes her head.
“Go take a bath before your father comes home. You reek of a man.” She says loud enough for everyone to hear. The walk of shame. I wish I didn’t stop. I hold my chest praying that Khanyi is not in sight. Indeed, she is not in sight. I stride up the stairs rushing to my bedroom. I lock the door, strip my clothes off and take a hot shower…
Not knowing what do, I further decide to lock myself in my bedroom. The fear of facing my mother…
“Thabisile!” That is her banging on my bedroom door. I sniff myself –  I don’t smell anything out of the ordinary.  Just my shower gel intoxicating me. I open the door and I find her livid self.
“Where is that stupid sister of yours?” She asks. Confusion crowds my mind.
“Is she not in her room?” I ask.
“She packed all her belongings, and she is gone!” She half shouts. I fastened the towel wrapped around my body and rush towards her bedroom. I open the wardrobe and most of her clothes are missing.
“Let me call her friend.” I rush back to my room to get hold of my phone…

With Amanda not knowing her whereabouts has me thinking the worst. What if she found out that I slept with Skhosane? I feel a chill running down my spine. I shiver in fear. I can’t break my sister in that manner. God knows I did not mean to hurt her in any way. I need to pray and asks for forgiveness. My father is back – back with his useless self. He hasn’t done anything even though a docket for a missing person has been opened. I need to call Skhosane and tell him…
“Miss me already.”
“Khanyi is missing.” I tell him. Moment of silent.
“Do you want me to come?” He asks. Do I need him?
“I don’t know. What if she saw us?” I ask with panic taking over. Never in my wildest dreams have I ever thought I would betray my younger sister in this manner.
“I’m coming. Will tell you when I’m close by.” H e drops the call and I patiently wait for him.
After an hour of waiting my phone chimes – a message pops up. It’s him telling me that he is outside, I waste no time. I grab my shoes on and descend the stairs. My father is at the lounge watching television like Khanyisile is not around. He briefly looks at me and turns to look at the news again. I don’t know why he is so obsessed with this case of a man who is behind bars. I see Skhosane standing from afar – I make my way to him. He meets me halfway. A warm hug being shared. It feels so wrong and yet good to be in his arms. I pull out of the hug and he briefly kisses me. I don’t know why I feel so emotional.
“What happened?”
“Khanyisile is missing. No one knows where she is. Her clothes are also missing. What if she came by the office and she saw us then she came back and decided to pack everything and left without telling anyone.” I am now a crying mess. All this makes sense to me. There is no other explanation. Me putting the pieces of the puzzles together – everything connects.
“We shouldn’t get ahead of ourselves. I doubt she came by. Did you try her friend maybe?” He asks.
“That was the first thing I did when I was told that she went missing.”
“This is so unlike her to just disappear without noticing anyone. Not even you. Have you tried her phone?”
I shake my head yes. I hope she forgives me wherever she is. I didn’t mean to take her happiness aways from her.
“It’s okay babe, we will find her.” He assures me. He pulls my head and makes me lean against his chest.

KHANYISILE
I don’t recall when was the last time I had such fun. I am laughing my ass off. Baba can be a comedian at times.
“Ay baba. I find it hard to believe this.” I say still laughing.
“You have no idea. I stayed up in the tree for two days afraid to go down.”
“Madala. So, the Rhino chased you. You climbed up the tree and you stayed there for days?” Manqoba asks. I also find this absurd. One can never survive without water. He continues to lie. Manqoba is entertained. If I don’t leave this man right here, I will land me in the mortuary. Never in my wildest dreams have I ever though that I could laugh this much. I walk inside the house and find my grandmother watching news. She quickly switches off the television when she sees me approaching.
“What are you watching?” I ask settling next to her.
“Some news.” She looks at me and smiles. She takes my hand and holds it. “Khanyisile. You need to grow up, pay attention to every detail that is happening right in front of your eyes. Pay mind to the details being shared by people. Try putting the pieces of the puzzles together. A lot is about to happen, and you are not strong enough for whatever obstacle you are about to face. The other brother will guide you throughout. Don’t ever doubt his love for you. Remember this - the other brother. Go make me tea.” Just like that she dismisses me. I really don’t know what sicknesses my grandmother has. I turn the kettle on and think of her words. What did she mean? I shake my head. I don’t need to think deep into this. I’m sure it’s the old age that has gotten to my grandmother. First, she talked about Manqoba being the brother in-law. And now it’s me with the other brother. What other brother? God, she is really losing it.
-
-
-
It’s late in the afternoon and I am somehow down. Down from what my grandmother told me. The food seems to be tasteless. I keep playing with the food.
“Khanyisile! Eat your food.” Grandma. My father chirps in.
“She must be tired. You can go sleep sweetheart.” See why I love this man so much. A smile grows on my face. I kiss his cheek and make my way to the room I am occupying. I can hear my grandma mumbling how my father is spoiling me and what not. Honestly, I enjoy being spoiled by this old man. Tomorrow he is taking me to the bush for some firewood. The way I’m so exited I cannot even wait for tomorrow to begin.  I throw myself on the bed, I feel my eyes getting heavy…

“Khanyi, shoot him!” A mans voice screams from behind. The man screaming is laying on the floor groaning in pain. He has been shot in the stomach and he has a baby in his arms. Trembling in fear the gun is held against the intruders head. The evil laugh in him.
“You have a weak wife. She will not shoot.” The intruder continues to laugh.
“Babe. Shoot him. Do exactly how I taught you.” The man on the floor adds. A gunshot goes off and the gun falls. Blood everywhere. The baby’s cries fill up the room filled with dead bodies.
“Take the kids and run as far as you could. I will find you.”
“I can’t leave you like this. I need to take you to the hospital.” She tries picking the man, but the size of his body is twice her body.
“Stop with your stubbornness woman and get the hell out of here. Take care of my kids. I love you.” Sirens whale from afar. Khanyisile kisses the man and sobs on his chest. She takes the baby and throws him on her back. With tears streaming down her face. Everything is like a chess. She rushes to the bedroom to get the mans daughter who was sleeping peacefully. She picks her up after a few struggles but eventually does. She uses the secret passage that leads her to the woods. No car, no phone. Just her and her kids running away from the crime with her husband left shot inside. Only God knows where this road leads – Manqoba comes to mind.

“Wake up khanyisile!” She opens her eyes and gasps for air. She looks around the room and everyone is looking at her with so much worry.
“We heard you screaming.” Grandma. All she can remember is the blood filled in the house.
“Everything felt so real. The blood and everything. I didn’t mean to kill him.” She says and sobs out loud. Her grandma holds her against her chest and tells her to cry it all out.
“Its okay my baby. It was the other brother.” Grandma says shushing her down. The dream felt so damn real.