ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 19: 𝔅𝔩𝔶𝔱𝔥𝔢

Naerys wanted to speak but no words came to her

Naerys wanted to speak but no words came to her. The woman, right before her, spoke as if she were her mother. But Naerys herself seemed to rival her in age. Even her hands, were what usually showed age early, we're still slim and plump and young. Naerys gritted her teeth and turned her head. "I do not-"

"Look at me!" The woman had grabbed her face, her cold fingers rough against Naerys cheeks. When Naerys looked into such eyes all the truth was there. Naerys stayed quiet as the woman released her. She had settled back and rubbed her hands together. "I know you have questions and I am going to answer them all.  But first," the woman took the tea away from Naerys and wiped the blood away from the cut on Naerys cheek. "How is my grandson?"

"My son, is perfect." Naerys hissed as her wound was wiped. "You will not speak of my child until you answer me." The woman fisted the cloth in her lap and looked down at her lap. Naerys gritted her teeth, snatching the cloth from the woman, throwing it in the blistering fire. "Answer me!"

The woman's eye shot up to Naerys. "You were not safe here. You were much safer with your father. There were things in these woods that I could not protect your from."

"What is your name?" Naerys felt her body tense. She needed to know. She just know that at the very least.

The woman grinned and finally looked to her daughter. "Blythe."

Blythe.

She had waited all of almost 20 years to hear her own mothers name. It was something none of her family either did not know, or did not care to know. Blythe reached across to touch Naerys cheek but the woman recoiled at the touch. "Shhh..."

Blythe's hand was warm against her frozen cheek. Was this what it was like to have a loving touch of a mother? She always tried to show her son as much affection as she physically could. She wanted him to know just how loved he was. Was this her turn to feel the same?

"So the city was right. You are a witch." Naerys turned her head away from Blythe and stood from her seat. Her head reeled and she was forced to grab the back of the chair for stability. Blythe immediately stood up as well to help balance her daughter. "You barely age and you send mythical beast as protection. What are you?"

Blythe gently guided Naerys back to sit before she continued. "King Baelon was very intelligent but some would say too ambitious." Blythe slowly began. Naerys watched her every move as the woman walked around her and picked up a dusty book from an unstable side table. On the cover was a Targaryen emblem that looked almost completely worn off. Blythe blew off the dust before she opened the fragile pages. "The Silver Fool they called him."

She flipped through the pages to the end of the spine, looking down at the words. "He was a fool and I loved him. He came to me after hearing of so many tales of a Witch of the Woods. He wanted guidance on how to stop the Invasion of the Stormlands by Morion Martell."