Chapter 9: Blood

Comincia dall'inizio

"I can blame that on you. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go be childish for a second."

"What are you-"

Wolf was already calling everyone to attention.

"Alright, before everyone goes and does their own thing, planning."

Everyone turned to him quickly, and Wolf smirked.

"Caracal, how long did the higher ups think this mission was gonna last?"

"Until it's safe for the politician to give his speech."

"Timeframe?"

"Two weeks, give or take."

"So... Everyone here's cleared up their schedule for Saturday, right?"

Everyone nodded, with some affirming grunts.

"Good. Means if we finish this tomorrow, everyone has the weekend off."

It was Aurora that lost her nerves first.

"Is there a point to all this?"

He knew he had the same shit eating grin on his face as when he closed in for a kill.

"Well, given that the two of you have been making eyes at each other for at least several hours now, you two are going on a date this saturday."

"Are you-"

"Because this is painful to watch. Seriously. And I have no patience."

"You can't just catch a supervillain in a day-"

"Yes I can. We have two locations. Greyhound and the newbloods will be on guard duty, you and Caracal clear one location and Viper and I the other. If Firmin isn't there, someone'll know where he is.

It made more sense to the Warslaves than it did to her, but as she saw each of them nod, she decided it was better for them to experience how tough the job could be, rather than saying it.

Caracal had other considerations though.

"Like the higher ups would let me-"

"I'll make them."

"How would you-?"

"Violence."

That was the end of that. Wolf never made threats he couldn't deliver on, or promises he couldn't keep. And oftentimes, the two went hand in hand.

"Ahad, tell your friends that you'll be making your speech in two days. We'll see to the rest."

The politician seemed a little nervous about that.

"I can't just-"

"They've been raring to go for weeks now, they can throw this all together in a matter of minutes if they have to. Get them to do it by Thursday, we'll fix the issue of security tomorrow."

"Very well. Just make sure I make it out alive."

Wolf shrugged.

"Well then, debrief on Friday and we'll be done. That's our schedule. Viper, finish up with the newbloods, then report back to me."

He sat back down across from Greyhound, who had a hard time containing his laughter.

"Was that really necessary?"

"Caracal's a nervous wreck and Aurora is... how do I put it... too good. They'd be making eyes for years before anything happens if I didn't give em a shove. If it works out, great. If it doesn't, then at least it's over with."