It had been a mangy, skinny pup, but she had no intention of trying to walk out that door.

It was obvious that he was a heathly little dog, but he was obviously a member of the Montgomery clan, and the veterinarian told Rachel that no puppy could be worse.

She'd had no choice.

Her father had picked it up at the roadside, the price tag still attached to its collar, and brought it home.

"I've been waiting to meet your new dog."

Her father's eyes were smoky with nostalgia, and though she hadn't realized it until then, they were also lit with good humor.

"This is Lassie," Creek said, petting the dog.

"My parents have been begging me to take her off their hands."

"Hello," Shelby said.

"I thought I'd missed you."

"Good to see you too."

"I'd like to take Lassie home with me."

Her father gave her a sidelong glance.

"But I don't think she'd fit in with the other animals in the barn."

"It's just for a couple of days," her father said.

"My mother and I are on vacation."

"Good," she said quickly.

Her father wasn't interested in having a dog, though.

He'd never liked them-too big, messy, smelly.

He had the tendency to use them as accessories, in spite of their bad habits and tendency to shed hair.

But he didn't say so.

Instead he turned to Creek.

"What about Lassie?"

"We'd take good care of her," Creek said, then looked down at his feet.

"But I think we should be going."

Her father wasn't pleased by Creek's actions, and he didn't seem to want to share the house any longer than necessary.

"Well, if it's all right with your parents, I'd like to take Lassie back to the farm," Shelby said, gently grabbing the dog's leash and trying not to weep.

Her parents didn't argue with her, which was a relief.

"We're always glad to have visitors."

Her mother called Creek over and hugged him in greeting, and her father shook his hand, even took a few photos, and insisted on taking the dog back to the farm to keep him company.

Lassie seemed excited, but nervous at the same time, a faint trembling going through his body.

Shelby liked to think it was a result of the excitement of being with another dog, and perhaps her own excitement.

She'd been upset all morning and just wanted to take something familiar back with her.

She liked to think of it as an act of self-preservation.

Her parents and Creek were clearly emotional about parting, and she wasn't going to risk doing or saying something that would embarrass them.

"If you'll let me drive, I'll take you there so your father and I can say our good-byes."

Creek frowned at her as though he didn't want to leave her.

"It's fine," she told him.

"We don't have a lot of time."

With a jerk of his head, he reluctantly agreed.

Lassie seemed more than happy to be returned.

On the short drive to the farm, she could hardly keep her eyes off Creek.

He held the leash in one hand and with the other he gently scratched the dog behind his ears.

Lassie leaned in close, rumbling happily.

Shelby felt sure he could read her mind.

He seemed to know that she needed something to look forward to.

They left the windows of her Mustang open and drove along country roads.

The sound of the engine eased the little dog, but Shelby was aware that Lassie was looking forward to being with Creek, too.

"This is a beautiful dog," her mother said.

"His fur is a rich brown."

Shelby smiled.

"He's mostly white."

"He's such a sweetheart."

"I think so."

Shelby's mother sighed as if relieved that Creek was staying.

Her mother had wanted him to stay, but she couldn't have forced (start) him to.

I'll continue this later, probably, but just think of this as a chapter !! (I'll start another book with it, too, eventually).

https://app.inferkit.com/demo