"Qui veut se battre ?"

I was woken up by Leon, who had the biggest smile I've ever seen since we met. He excitedly spoke to me though I couldn't register anything he was saying due to the fact I just got out of sleep. I groggily asked him to repeat what he said.

"My mom just got cancer free ! I'm seeing her in a week !"

When I realized what he just said, I immediately sat up and mirrored his huge smile. This probably removed a weight on his shoulders and maybe he would get a bit less stressed and cold. I asked him in return :

"What time is it ?"

"About 5 AM, I know you have to travel soon, that's why I woke you up."

"Right I have to be ready for 6, thanks for waking me up."

I got up from my bed, tidied it, took a shower, ate my breakfast, quite the routine.

It was about 5:45 when I walked outside to the heliport. Captain Price was already there, arms crossed, a serious look on his face. I greeted him with a smile, no words. His stern look knotted my throat and I couldn't feel like talking, I walked next to him and faced the same direction as him, also waiting for the others.

König was the next one to come, he greeted us with a wave, Captain Price only answered with a nod and soon directed his gaze towards the door again. I wanted to start a conversation with König since I couldn't stand the awkwardness of waiting :

"So, how you feeling ?"

"A bit nervous but it should be okay."

"Why are you nervous ?"

I chuckled a bit at my question, this guy could get nervous for any new social interaction after all.

"Cause I don't speak French, but it should be okay since you're here."

"I'm the interpretor on this mission, it's going to go well, don't worry."

Our short small talk got interrupted by Ghost, Soap and Gaz walking towards us. The captain soon instructed us to take place in the helicopter, he then told the pilot to start the engines, and soon we were flying.

We couldn't talk to each other because of the loud noises of the helicopter, though it didn't stop Soap from trying to make silly jokes, he soon stopped after seeing Ghost's death glare.

I was really excited to see my ex colleagues again, Corentin, Mehmet and Justine. I started wondering how they were doing, since the last time I saw them was about 2 or 3 years ago. I joined the french military at the age of 18 and they were like models to follow. Corentin for his gun handling ability, Mehmet for his really great intelligence and Justine for her amazing medical skills. They are all older than me by at least 5 years and at most 8.

Corentin was the most famous soldier in our base, not only he had divine skills but he also had a really great personality, he was honestly the person I was most excited to meet again. I wondered if he improved over the years, if he could.

But then Mehmet was also a very good person, he always managed to make everyone feel loved, even the assholes. He often faced racism because of his immigrant status, he was most often told he should go back to his country, but thankfully he never did, he never felt safe in Türkiye because of the fact he was bisexual, after his family discovered his sexuality against his will, they wanted to force him into conversion therapy, since it was still legal. Homosexuality might not be a crime anymore in Türkiye, but the people stayed very close minded. I once told him he felt like an older brother to me, though he had trouble understanding, when he understood he hugged me tightly and almost cried.

I couldn't think much about Justine, I never really talked to her, she was always quite distant with everyone.

My thoughts were soon cut off by the pilot signing to us there was 30 seconds left before landing. We were gonna land in the Modern French Résistance, or MFR, heliport. I started preparing myself mentally to meet my old colleagues back.