Chapter 25 - The Storm Spire

The world seemed to sit still as both of them pulled away after a few moments. Y/n stared at Aaravos with wide eyes, she couldn't believe that had just happened. Aaravos's face, ears, and neck were flushed as he stared back at her. Aaravos's hands gently caressed y/n's legs, as she was still being held against the tree. Her face burned up and Aaravos smirked, gently releasing her from the tree. Her feet plopped to the ground, and she kept her face down, not knowing what to say.

"W-We should start moving towards the Storm Spire." Y/n managed to say, very aware of how Aaravos was looking at her with longing.

She attempted to walk away from Aaravos, but he placed his hand against a tree trunk, blocking her. "Are you attempting to escape my grasp?" Aaravos said, although he was unable to conceal the deeper purple that covered his face, ears, and neck.

Y/n blushed and replied, "No, I'm working towards your grasp. I want to free you."

Aaravos's arm returned to his side, and he said, "We should start walking then, we have quite a ways to go."

She nodded and they started making their way eastward. The trees towered over them, blocking out most of the sunlight. Fluorescent plants and lichen covered the ground and trees, different colors of light lit up the ground and this reminded y/n that she was in Xadia now. A few minutes had passed, and both of them had calmed down, so y/n figured she could ask Aaravos a question.

"So- is everything in Xadia filled with magic? Why isn't any of this in the human kingdoms?" Y/n asked, as they approached a large, overturned log that blocked their path.

"Yes, every creature and blade of grass is filled with magic in Xadia. When humans were removed from Xadia, magic was removed from your kingdoms as well." Aaravos replied, scaling the log, and reaching out a hand to help y/n up.

Y/n took his hand and said, "It would be amazing if the human kingdoms and Xadia could intertwine again."

Aaravos had to pull his eyes away from y/n's lips as he said, "In a way they are, the return of the dragon prince will decrease tension between our lands."

"I wonder if any elves and humans would have a chance together." Y/n muttered, thinking aloud.

Aaravos's heart hammered in his chest, y/n hadn't noticed that he had heard her. He hoped she had been referring to the two of them, y/n seemed to want the same thing as he did. Aaravos carefully slid down the log and turned to see y/n attempting to do the same. He chuckled and took her hips, lifting her off the log. Y/n dusted off the moss that had clung to her pants and smiled at Aaravos.

"By the way, where's Cosmos?" Y/n asked, she fiddled with the strap of her bag.

"This terrain is not ideal for a horse, but once we have reached the valley, I will summon him. Are you tired of walking? I can carry you." Aaravos said casually, trying to hide his nervousness.

Y/n's face flushed and she said, "No it's okay, I just hadn't seen him in a while." Aaravos nodded, and they continued to walk through the forest, enjoying the breeze and laughing together.

After a while of walking, y/n saw an opening in the trees. She gasped and hurried over to the edge of the trees, seeing the broad valley. A tall mountain sat in the center of the valley, it broke through the clouds and stood tall and proud. 'That must be the Storm Spire!' she thought, grinning eagerly.

"Aaravos! We can see the queen and her baby!" Y/n said, jumping up with excitement.

He chuckled and replied, "Zubeia, who you know as the dragon queen, may not be thrilled to learn about your intent of freeing me."

"Well, I'll convince her then! I'm sure she will have empathy." Y/n said, stepping out into the valley.

Aaravos let out a faint smile and snapped, summoning Cosmos to them. The horse proudly stepped up to y/n and dipped its head in front of her, allowing y/n to pet him. She did so, and carefully hooked up her bag to Cosmos. "Come on Aaravos! Let's get you freed!" Y/n said, barely managing to get on Cosmos by herself.

A feeling of uncertainty filled Aaravos. 'Would the queen accept me so easily?' he thought. But as he looked at y/n's excited face, he felt a wave of comfort swirl around him. 'Even if Zubeia does not approve, I will help y/n on this journey. I will not allow anyone to sever our connection.' he thought, hopping on Cosmos and wrapping his arms around y/n's waist. 

Word Count: 812 

Please let me know if there are any typos! Ty! I appreciate it!

- Dawn