Chapter 1 - The Mirror

Y/n rushed to the palace, still eating her breakfast of bread and fruit preserves wrapped in a cloth. She was late, late to her job and to say that Lord Viren had a temper would be a vast understatement. He had already yelled at her several times, and she was fed up with him. She dreaded the fact that she would have to work in the dungeons today, something about a "change in environment".

As the castle came into view, y/n waved to the guards and slipped through the gate. As she walked through the gate, she quickly made her way to the entrance of the dungeons. She walked down the steps and looked for Lord Viren, who was supposedly waiting in the dungeons for her. She didn't see him at first, so she decided to wait around for him, relieved that he was not angry with her at the time being.

As she waited, she hummed quietly to herself while leaning against a wall, missing her family as they lived on the other side of Katolis. She was eager to visit them in the fall, which was currently a few months away. A sudden sound interrupted her thoughts, as she saw Lord Viren exit a side door in the dungeons and lock the door behind him. She quickly straightened up and approached him.

"Lord Viren!" She exclaimed while walking quickly over to him.

"Ah it's about time you showed up." Viren said irritated.

"My apologies my Lord." She said while bowing her head, although she would have made a sharp retort had Viren not been high above her station.

Viren just grunted and said "It's fine, just work on clearing out these dungeons today, I don't require your assistance. Just make sure you don't go wandering where you don't belong." He said while letting a small glance slip at the door, suggesting that is exactly where he was referring to.

Once Viren had left the room, y/n began the long process of cleaning out old cells and working out the grime that filled the crevices between the cobblestones. After throwing the old washcloth she was using into a laundry basket, she prepared to take it upstairs, but paused as she saw the door Viren warned her not to enter. She quickly made up her mind as she set the basket down and walked over to the door. She pulled out a sharp hairpin from her hair as several tendrils of her y/c hair flopped over her eyes. She brushed her hair back with her hands and began using the hairpin to pick the lock. After a lot of struggling and several curse words, she heard a click, and she turned the doorknob.

She opened the door and inside was a small room. The room was a typical cobblestone room with dim lighting, but this room held something peculiar. In the center of the room was a large mirror, with a chair facing it. Y/n closed the door behind her and cautiously approached the mirror, seeing that it had runes carved into the sides surrounding the glass. Suddenly the mirror started to glow, and y/n hurriedly backed away from it. She watched in amazement as the mirror showed a beautiful library, the tall walls stacked with books, and intricate windows contrasted the library at the castle, which was dull and ordinary.

As she watched the mirror, a plume of fire found its way to the fireplace, and y/n watched as someone walked into the room from a door on the left. They wore a cloak littered with stars which matched their pale indigo skin with freckle-like stars. Y/n slowly approached the mirror and saw the figure do the same. She gasped as she saw the figure's hood fall and saw their long white hair and horns poke out. What shocked her more, however, was that the figure, who was clearly a star touched elf, put his palm on the mirror and tried to speak to her. Although no words came out.

Word count: 704

Please let me know if there are any typos! I try to find them all but sometimes I don't see them.