Chapter 4 - The Bug Ritual

Y/n walked down the steps to the dungeons, relieved that Lord Viren was in fact out for the day and wasn't likely to return until nightfall. She gripped a key in her hand, it had been hidden in Viren's office and she managed to take it without him noticing. Y/n hoped it was the key for the mirror room, because if it wasn't, she stole it for nothing and would have to pick the lock again. The dungeon was almost entirely empty at the time, which was a relief because y/n didn't want anyone to see her. She walked to the door and put the key in the keyhole, crossing her fingers. She turned the key and heard a click. Letting out a relieved sigh, y/n opened the door and closed the door behind her. The mirror was letting out a faint glow, and the library looked as inviting and warm as ever.

Y/n approached the mirror and saw the elf sitting at his desk reading a book. She nervously tapped the glass with one of her knuckles and saw him raise his head and make eye contact with her. He closed his book and walked over to the mirror; y/n's heart started beating faster as he stood there silently. He then held up a finger, gesturing that she should wait, she nodded, and he left the room.

About 15 minutes later, he returned to the room with a table covered in many objects. It had a bowl, a goblet filled with water, a mortar and pestle, a knife, a geode, a cloth, and a needle and thread. He set the table directly in front of the mirror and gestured to the table and then to her. She understood that he wanted her to get the same items and bring them to her own side of the mirror. She gestured for him to wait, and then she left the room to grab the items.

She grabbed a spare table that was sitting outside of one of the cells, likely used to hold a prisoner's food, and carried that table into the room. She gave a brief wave to the elf and left to get the rest of the items, grabbing several items from the kitchen, and getting others from Viren's office. She went back to the dungeons and set the items on the table. The elf nodded in approval, and started to sew a rune into the cloth, gesturing for her to do the same. She sewed the same rune into the cloth, and he then pointed his palm towards her and both runes started to glow.

After this, they wrapped the geode in the cloth and broke it in half with the pestle. Then they ground up the geode and poured the dust into the goblet of water. Y/n was shocked to see that a purple mist poured out of the cup after adding the geode. The elf raised up his cup and drank it, Y/n tentatively did the same, surprisingly the concoction tasted of lavender. The elf then took the knife, waiting for Y/n to do the same. Adrenaline rushed through her veins as she took the knife with shaky hands. They both sliced into their hands at the same time and let their blood drip into their bowls. Y/n winced and held her hand against her uniform, hoping to stop the blood.

As if the situation couldn't get any more peculiar, the elf opened his mouth and a small purple caterpillar crawled out, which he put in the bowl. Y/n's bowl flashed and the bug was suddenly there on her side of the mirror. It crawled up her arm and it took all her willpower not to swat it off her. It climbed quickly up her neck and rested on her ear, she looked at the elf for some form of guidance, but he did nothing. She could never have expected what happened next.

"Speak

"Speak." The bug said.

Y/n looked at the elf, he seemed to be speaking through the bug somehow.

"Speak, so that I may hear you." he continued, in a surprisingly sultry voice.

"Who- who are you?" Y/n stuttered.

"Ah- how long I have waited to hear the sound of another voice. How may I serve you?"

Word Count: 742

Please let me know if there are any typos! Ty!

- Dawn