Mr. and Mrs. Reid

Maggie opened the door and there they were. Her parents. Avery recognized them from the photos around the apartment. Except when she had invited them in, her dad's red beard was much more trim along with his hair and he had gained more weight. Her mom was much darker in person, and she was just as short as Maggie is, but her black hair was less curly than Maggies.

"Maggie!" Her dad bellowed as they gave her a group hug. "We missed you somethin' awful."

"We wanted to come visit you since you couldn't come visit us," her mom said with a thick spanish accent. Avery reached for her crutches, but wasn't able to move to the side of the couch.

"I've missed you guys too, why didnae you call me?"

"Your dad wanted to surprise you," her mom walked in and locked eyes with Avery. "Oh, hello! Sorry didn't realize you had company."

"Mam, dad, this is Avery," Maggie said. "This is Sofia my mam, an' Harry, my dad," Avery gave them an apologetic smile.

"It's really nice to meet you both, I've heard a lot about you. Sorry, I'd get up to shake your hand but my body's not quite cooperating," she said sheepishly. She tried to scoot to the side of the couch, wincing at the ache in her hips and legs. This was not the first impression she was hoping for when it came to meeting her in-laws. Harry shook her hand all the same.

"Dinnae worry lass, yer missin' a whole leg," he chortled. Sofia walked over.

"Don't mind my husband, he just says whatever pops into his head. Nice to meet you, Avery," she walked over to the table and took off her coat and put her purse down. "I was thinking of heading to the store so we can make tamales," Maggie seemed to light up at that.

"Yeah, I'll take you. Avery's not feelin' so hot, so it'll just be the three of us."

"I'll stay here with the lass. It'll give me a chance to get comfortable with where you put everythin'. Do you drink?" He asked Avery.

"No, sir. I'm not a big drinker," Avery responded nervously. Hopefully that wouldn't lose her any points.

"I'll have Maggie pick you up somethin' then," Avery looked over to see her and her mom who had dragged her into the kitchen and was rummaging thoroughly through the pantry. She was pulling out stuff that Avery had seen, but didn't know what it was for. They were talking in Spanish to each other rapidly. It was a little funny hearing her wife speak spanish with a scottish accent.

"What are they talking about over there?" She asked Harry.

"Oh, she's just checking out the hardware. Maggie needs a bigger bowl for what they're gonna do an' she doesn't have a steamin' pot," he explained.

"Should I go over to help?" He chuckled.

"Absolutely not. One time I tried and I got shooed out of the kitchen by those two. It's like a mad science lab," Avery nodded, shifting and making sure the blanket was still covering her leg. They were washing her socks so it was exposed at the moment. Her eyes widened.

"Hey Maggie I'm really sorry to interrupt but is my sock still soaking in the sink?" She called out, wincing. "I can come get it, I just wanna check," it took some effort, but this time she was able to push herself off the couch. Maggie looked up worried.

"Lovely, stay down really. It's still soaking. It's still got another five minutes on the timer," Maggie walked over. "Do you need anythin', thirsty or anythin'?" She asked. Avery let herself be pushed back down on the couch.

"Some water would be great, thanks," she said with a sheepish grin. "You sure? I don't mind. You can just worry about spending time with your parents," Maggie held her down firmly by the shoulders, giving her an exasperated look.