Lunch

Avery was admittedly a little nervous about her friends meeting Maggie. Mostly because she didn't want them to scare her off. Maggie had ordered Italian food, and it had arrived ahead of the boys, and Avery was trying not to pace anxiously. She looked at the walls, spaces cleared for frames of her photos, and the flag and shadow box with her medal and badges was displayed prominently above the couch. It was strange having all of her stuff out like this, it had been in the box for so long. It was nice, and Maggie was an expert decorator so they all looked like they belonged on the wall.

It had been an awkward morning, with Avery having a nightmare and waking them both up in the early hours. Neither of them could go back to sleep so Maggie asked Avery how to make a 'fancy' coffee with the stuff she had. Avery taught her how to make cold foam with her milk frother, and how to make cold brew. It was a little finicky with the cheap coffee grinder Maggie had, but Avery made it work. They'd taken a risk and stuck with their crutches over their leg, grateful that Maggie didn't say anything or seem weirded out. There was a knock on the door.

"I'll get it," Maggie jogged to the front. "Do I look alright to me meetin' them? I'm suddenly second guessing this outfit," she was wearing a dark yellow cropped long sleeved shirt that had flared out at the elbows and brown shorts. Avery swallowed heavily, staring.

"You look really good, more delicious than the food on the table," Avery said with a grin. She didn't mean to say that out loud, but might as well roll with it. Maggie blushed all over her face before turning around to answer the door.

"Hello! You guys must be Tanner and Matt," she invited them in. "And the cutest babby to ever bless me with her presence," she cooed at Misha. Avery grinned and came over, leaning in for a hug.

"Hey guys! Hello my little angel," she said, kissing her little face. "Food's already here, we got pasta from Nick's!"

"Sorry my table is a little small. But the coffee table is also pretty comfortable to eat on," Maggie suddenly looked worried. "I got plates an' bowls an' e'erythin' set out," she pointed at the kitchen.

"You're sweet, thank you! It's not a problem, our kitchen table wobbles like you wouldn't believe," Matt laughed, walking in. "You have a very nice apartment."

"It's a one bedroom," Tanner said, giving Avery a flat look. She smiled sheepishly.

"It's a very nice pull out couch," she mumbled, gesturing to it. Slim Jim was sprawled out across it, watching them curiously. Avery narrowed her eyes, pointing at him. "I know that face. No zoomies right now," Slim Jim stared for a moment before tearing off down the hall as fast as he could. "What did I just say," Maggie started laughing watching the tiny black cat.

"He really loves the carpet," she mentioned. Matt was looking at the walls with a smile.

"It's about time someone got you to take all of these out of that old box," he said, pointing at the pictures. "I forgot what a beanpole you used to be, Tan!" Tanner grumbled a bit.

"I had a fast metabolism, leave me alone," he said. "This has some real Howl's vibes in here," he commented as he looked around. Maggie got a blank look on her face.

"What?" Avery looked over at her.

"Howl's Moving Castle? The Ghibli movie?" They clarified, but she just looked more confused.

"I dinnae know what you're talking about," Maggie's eyes flickered between the three of them. "Oh no, did I fail something? Is this-" Avery quickly shook her head, not wanting Maggie to feel bad.

"No! No, it's still kind of a niche thing. I think you'll like it, though! I'm pretty sure I can get my hands on a set somewhere," she reassured. "Ignore Tanner and Matt, they live and breathe those movies," Maggie nodded.