Everyone Else

Avery took the day off to come with Maggie to the police station down in Bar Harbor. Luckily, Maggie had ample evidence of her identity, and the lieutenant they had an appointment with was decently understanding. Everything was going fine until they started to leave, when a loud commotion erupted behind them, shouting and slamming coming from the bull pen. Avery dragged Maggie out faster, heart racing and hands shaking. She swallowed down the fear, focusing on the woman next to her instead.

"It's alright, you're safe. Let's get you to the car," she turned to the lawyer. "Is there anythin' else we need to talk about?"

"Nothing I can't call you about," he waved them off. "You two drive safe!" He said, and started walking to his car.

"I'm okay, just wasn't expecting that," Avery said. "How are you feeling?" Maggie opened the car door for them and then helped them in.

"Just glad the charges will fall off in a few days," she closed the door for them and went to the driver's side. "You alright?" She asked, offering her hand. Avery took it, giving her a weak grin.

"Yeah, I'm- I really should've expected that, really. That was on me," Avery laughed a bit. Maggie held her face.

"No' really we went into a busy, but quiet place. You dinnae expect anyone to freak out. Do you need distraction or to talk about it?" Maggie asked.

"Distraction, there's no talking through whatever happened there. Wanna get coffee before we go back?" Maggie passed her the phone.

"Of course. Here, pick something to listen to," she smiled at Avery then started turning on the car and getting out of the parking lot. Avery scrolled through her Spotify until she found one of the Halloween playlists, throwing it on.

"Hey, do you like farmers markets?" Avery asked as she put the phone back down, getting comfortable in the passenger seat.

"Yeah, I just ne'er have time to go," Maggie said sadly.

"Well there's one that pops up in Brunswick on Mondays if you'd maybe wanna go with me? August is the perfect time, the harvest season has started and there's gonna be all kinds of fruits and jams and cool shit like that," she asked hopefully.

"Yeah, I'd love to. I think I have my bags with me. Could you check the backseat?" Avery leaned into the backseat, seeing the small stack of reusable bags.

"Yup! They're in the seat pocket like usual. I think it's blueberry season, if we pick some up I can make you a treat," she smiled widely at Maggie, raising her eyebrows. "And if I could be gay about it, maybe before you gotta go back to work we could go apple picking."

"Go full lesbian? Abso-fucking-lutely," Maggie said. Avery beamed, quickly looking up orchards on her phone.

"Perfect! There's one about twenty minutes from town. We could even go today if you want. I'm just here for the beautiful company," Maggie blushed after the comment.

"All the girls are gonna be jealous o' me walking with you," she nudged her arm. Avery shook her head.

"Other way around, beautiful. I'm gonna be fighting them off with my crutches to keep them away from you," Avery jokingly held one of the crutches like a bat. Her nub was feeling tender this morning after her workout, so she'd opted for the crutches instead for the day. They were only half-joking. Maggie was looking good enough to take Avery's breath away in a small gray dress with tights, make-up on her face and her hair down in its usual curls. Avery felt almost criminally underdressed in her cargo shorts and t-shirt.

"How often do you work out anyways?" Maggie shamelessly squeezed her bicep. Avery flexed when she did, shooting her a grin.

"I try to go four times a week if I can, even if it's just to walk. I went from being extremely active to not being able to move much after my injury, and I kinda hated it so I do what I can to keep myself moving. Plus, these guns won't maintain themselves," she joked as she flexed her arms, doing her best strongman pose while in the car.