4

You pulled another lever at the next set of doors. They swung open quickly, but didn't stay for long as they began closing immediately. Without wasting a second thought you slipped through with Froggit and Whimsun.

Cold air suddenly blew past and caressed your face with a freezing touch. You immediately flipped your hood on top of your head, attempting to preserve some warmth from the ruins.

Just as you turned back to maybe get a bit more of the warmth, the door shut and locked itself.

A shiver ran down your spine as you looked forward into the woods before you. It was dark so that didn't help much either.

Whimsun let out a high pitch hum as she shook, her wings already looked like they were about to freeze off, so she took shelter in your hoodie pocket. Froggit wasn't doing much better as snow covered his webbed feet already.

"Uh... do you want to go in my backpack? You'll be sheltered from the wind and a bit of the cold, Just don't break my ukulele." You offered, slipping the backpack off your shoulder.

He shook his head proudly as his skin started to shrivel and lose colour. "(ribbit) N-Never! It'll be just as cold!" He turned away stubbornly, his eyes closed in refusal.

You took a deep sigh and felt the cold air swirl about in your lungs. "Okay... well, why don't you come inside my sweater?" He looked over his shoulder at you, eyeing you up and down.

{}<<>>{}

Froggit sat comfortably on your chest with his face sticking out of your hoodies neck hole with your shirt collar supporting his belly. Whimsun had actually made her way in as well and snuggled between his back and you. They were both snug as a bug.

Inside your sweater was warm, that's for sure. Unfortunately for you though, your face, legs, and hands were still very susceptible to the cold jab of the wind and snow. You couldn't take much more and began regretting the idea of leaving the ruins so quickly.

You enviously listened to Whimsun purr as she slept warmly against Froggit, while you stumbled a bit with your rapidly numbing legs. The dry sting of the wind in your eyes kept them watering, freezing eyelashes together which made it near impossible to see.

You blinked hard to temporarily warm away the ice on your eyes. As your sight clears, you spot a a strange haunting figure loomed in the distance. It was tall, shaped as if it were part of the stone henge, but a it clearly wasn't stone and wasn't ancient. It was made from cold metal bars.

The closer you got, the bigger and more imposing it was, planting a deep seated dread in your stomach. What could have put this here? As you reached the cold structure, you carefully and quietly slipped between the bars onto a little bridge.

You kept your eye on it until you were far enough away that it didn't unsettle you quiet as much. Finally facing forward from over your shoulder, a small booth looking thing came into view. Shelter.

A happy gasp emitted from you as you went as fast as your frozen legs would let you. Upon close inspection the shelter didn't have walls on the top part of it, but you were thankful nonetheless. Hurriedly, you flung your leg over the side, trying to be graceful, but your other leg got caught on the edge of the shirt wall, sending you to topple over into the cold snow inside.

Both Froggit and Whimsun woke up suddenly with small cries of surprise. Froggit was about to chastise such clumsiness until he realized just how cold you were.

With a shiver and a quick brush off, you scooted your body into the corner of the hut, pulling you frozen legs and arms inside your sweater in a feeble attempt  at conserving body heat.

But you were still unbelievably cold. Even with Whimsun trying to warm you up by rubbing her tiny hands of yours, it really wasn't helping. At one point even Froggit tried to warm you up by rubbing against your legs, but his skin was not warm, it had slimy texture to it that only made you tremble harder.

Lip had turned blue and your face lost its colour. The hair splayed out from underneath Ike's toque was stiff with frost while your fingertips were blanching. You were freezing to death.

Already, you'd faded in and out of consciousness. Fortunately, Whimsun was vigilant in keeping you awake.

Unfortunately, even inside the sweater had started to lose it's warmth.

Pitiful... I've been away from the ruins for an hour and already I'm on my death bed.

You made sure to pull down your toque farther and put your face inside of your hoodie, hoping to keep a bit of cold off of your face. You closed your eyes, much to Whimsuns dismay. Froggit started bumping his head on your chest as if trying to keep your heart going, but even his strikes began to feel far away.

"Y/n?" A painfully familiar voice rang out, you weakly opened your eyes and looked across the hut. There was Ike, sitting carefully on the short wall with a concerned tone, still wearing your large jacket. "Why are you giving up?" he asked.

You felt tears begin to pick your eyes for mixed reasons and emotions. "Ike." The name was whispered with nothing but a shaky voice and desperation. "I don't want to keep going without you." You choked out.

He smiled softly and took a few steps until he stood right in front of you, looking down. "But you have to." He knelt down, your eyes tracking him sleepily. "I'm not the center of your life, you have to live on." He set a nonexistent hand on your cheek and tilted his head to match your half-lidded gaze. "You have to promise to pull through. Live for the both of us." He chuckled lightly, ruffling your hat covered hair. "Leave being dead to me." A wry smile pulled across his pale face, staring into your drowsy eyes before taking off the jacket he wore. With the most careful hands, he placed the jacket atop of your cold body.

It was instant warmth, but it didn't smell like normal his normal pine scent, it smelt oddly... ketchupy.

Ike smiled and stroked your cheek free of the freezing tears. "You'll be fine kid." You frowned at his words, it didn't sound like him, it was oddly gruff.

Ike smiled at you lovingly once more then kissed your forehead. Your eyes snapped open, only to realize you hadn't actually seen Ike in the hut. However, the warmth was still enveloping you, and you weren't lying in the snow anymore.

No, you were being carried. Your droopy eyes lifted uncoordinatedly to the strangers face. It was unnaturally pale but you couldn't inspect further as your sight was unable to focus. Again, your eyes shut. That same gruff voice came back. "I promise."

It was probably just because of a near death experience but you had felt like you were safe with this stranger, like they were a life-line. You would've made an effort to smile if your face didn't hurt so much, so instead you just muttered out a slur of words. "Thanks, you really saved my ass."

They laughed softly as you were caught in a relived sleep.