40 - Friday, May 7

The aroma of sizzling breakfast filled the air as I twirled around the kitchen, lost in the melody pouring through my earphones.

I hummed along and danced, but my reverie was abruptly interrupted when I was startled by the sight of Alex, standing half-naked beside me and sporting an amused grin.

"You creep." I feigned shock, holding out my hands in front. "You know the drill. Make up for the heart attack you just gave me."

Alex chuckled and drew nearer, her breasts a comforting weight in my hands. "Ah, how easy it is to make you happy." She enfolded me in her embrace and claimed my lips. "Good morning, baby. Smells delicious."

I leaned in for another kiss, but instantly pulled back with a raised eyebrow. "Wait, rewind. Did you just baby me?"

She smiled. "It's not like I haven't called you that before."

"Yeah." I let out an amused huff of laughter. "In bed."

She giggled to herself as she daintily skittered to the couch, her bare feet light against the hardwood floors. Her clothes still lay scattered around, left there hastily during the previous evening.

"Here's breakfast." I put a plate down. "And here's sandwiches for lunch. And you better eat them during lunch, not after work. I'll drop by and make sure of it."

Her lips curved into a sweet smile, her eyes radiating warmth. "I will, thank you," she promised before heading off to wake Benji.

The three of us spent the morning sharing sweet conversations as we savored breakfast together, just like every morning when I was there. Once we were all dressed, there was still a bit of time before they needed to leave for school.

"Kayla?" Benji scampered up to me, clutching a hairbrush and a hair tie, as I prepared his snack for school. "Can you braid my hair?"

I wore an apologetic expression, handing him the container. "I'm sorry, but I have no idea how to braid hair, at least not in a pretty way. But I'll learn, okay?"

Alex's voice called out from the couch where she was organizing papers for work. "Come, both of you." She patted the sofa and tossed a pillow on the floor between her legs.

Grinning with delight, Benji rushed over. I sat down and watched Alex expertly weave his golden curls into a braid, each step described with careful detail. I paid close attention, yearning to learn, not just for Benji but for myself as well.

My hair had always been left to cascade down my shoulders or pulled back with a simple claw clip that I had stolen from Alex. I could occasionally manage a single braid in the front that kept my hair away from my face, but that was the extent of my skill, as I was unable to turn my own locks into anything more than a lopsided, unraveling mess.

"All done." Alex patted his shoulders. "And what do we say if someone says something mean about your braid?"

"I tell them to mind their own business."

"Exactly. There you go, my pretty boy. You look beautiful."

"Thanks, mom." He beamed, bounding off to his room.

Alex flashed a mischievous smile my way, and I knew exactly what she had in mind. I groaned in mock exasperation as I prepared to take a seat on the pillow.

But she quickly swooped in, settling on it herself. "Nuh-uh. You're going to braid mine."

I couldn't help but laugh. "Do you really want to look like a clown at work?"

"Then you better do a good job. Or you're gonna have to see your girlfriend look like shit."

With a deep breath, I positioned myself behind her, gently gathering her sun-kissed brown locks between my fingers. Using all the knowledge I had just acquired, I began to weave them into a braid, marveling at how simple it was to do on someone else compared to myself.