18 - Friday, December 18

The early morning air was crisp, and a blanket of snow glittered under the streetlights like diamond dust, bringing a sense of winter to the scene for the first time that year. I stood outside, taking in the cold, and lit a cigarette to ward off the chill. The snowflakes were beautiful, spinning and twirling in the light.

Holiday season was nearly upon us, a reminder that half of the school year had already passed. Though I disliked the cold, I could not deny the beauty of the moment. I started the day with excitement, scurrying around the kitchen, trying to be as quiet as I could.

But when I heard the door creak open at the end of the corridor, my spirits lifted even higher. A drowsy little boy emerged from the darkness of his room, wobbling down the corridor, his tiny hands blinking the sleep away from his eyes. His golden locks were a tangled mess, his t-shirt slightly askew, his eyes barely locking onto me as he gave me a rather large yawn.

"Good morning, sleepyhead." I knelt in front of him, fixing his shirt. "Did I wake you?"

His head shook slowly in response, and it was clear he had only just woken up, his eyelids heavy and his awareness still foggy. He then opened his arms and looped them around my neck. We stayed like that for a few moments, and I had to resist the strong urge to hug him tightly. I had to admit, he was growing on me a little too much.

I took his hand in mine and led him to the window. And as soon as I opened the curtains, every ounce of sleep left him. His eyes lit up with the purest joy, the kind only children can express, his mouth forming a radiant grin.

"Snow," he whispered in awe before looking up at me. "Can we go outside?"

"I don't know if we should, kiddo. Maybe when you go to school, okay?" I suggested, to which he nodded. But a part of me wanted to give that little boy everything his heart desired. "Or maybe we can go on the balcony?"

The brightness that came onto his face was like the sun rising, brightening the room with its cheerful glow as he ran to the front door and grabbed his jacket. I helped him with the boots and gloves, and, holding his hand, opened the balcony door for the winter air to greet us.

The darkness of the balcony was broken only by the shimmering snowflakes that fluttered from the sky, their chilly kisses melting on my face. Benji's eyes were alight with joy as he stretched out his little hand, determined to catch the snowflakes as they fell.

With a gentle lift, I helped him to reach further, his small but heavy body cradled securely in my arms. He sparkled with delight as he blew a warm breath on the snowflakes, watching with wonder as they melted away in his grasp.

His love for the beauty of nature was palpable, and I prayed that life would continue to nurture that sense in him, keeping him as wholesome as he was. He was a sweet and gentle child. For him, happiness was simple. It was in his mom's hugs, it was in the rain and in the snow, in every bird, in every little animal, and in every small thing. What I'd give to see the world from his eyes for he was such an innocent little soul.

When I saw the tip of Benji's nose turn a delicate shade of pink, I knew it was time to head indoors. "So, breakfast?" I said, rushing him inside. "What do you want?"

His blue eyes flitted around thoughtfully before a mischievous grin spread across his adorable face. "Candy?"

I chuckled heartily, shaking my head in mock disapproval. "I'm not your mom, but I do have some common sense."

He snickered. "Ice cream?"

I gave him an exasperated look but couldn't suppress the smile tugging at the corners of my mouth. "One last chance."