~ 17 ~

I stayed in the car as Alex went to get the cake

I stayed in the car as Alex went to get the cake. There was no parking meter so Alex parked on the side of the road in some random, less-busy street and ran into the pastry shop. I watched him disappear from my sight and played with my hair during his absence. We ended up listening to the radio most of the way and I was half-asleep the entire time but now I was awake and fully aware that we were actually hanging out without being forced to.

He was gone for fifteen minutes which made me wonder if he was actually okay but then I saw him return with two giant boxes, telling me he had to go back for more as he safely placed them in the trunk. It took him five minutes to bring out three paper bags and another, smaller box, all four of which he placed in my lap.

"Here," he said, handing me the box and then closing the door before appearing on the driver's side and getting in. "Open the box and try one of those red cupcakes. They're delicious."

I had a rule of no eating in my car but my curiosity won. "What are they?" I asked, eyeing the cupcakes as I held them up.

"Watermelon," Alex replied, snatching one of them from me. "And give me one while you're at it."

We each ended up eating three of them before realizing it would be best to leave some for the others. I know I had a rule about eating in my car but then again... I did like to break the rules sometimes.

As we drove back home, I wanted to talk to him but we had nothing else to discuss. We had already covered everything about our relationships, our time at school and our friends. There was nothing else I could use to start a conversation. I didn't know enough about him to talk about anything.

So I didn't try. Instead, we listened to the radio, both of us in a better mood now that we were on a sugar high. I rolled the window down and let the cold wind blow through my hair as I watched tiny bits of light glistening on the ocean. We were driving down the coast and I observed that the sun wasn't yet ready to rise, reminding me of myself today.

Before he drove both of us home, Alex first decided to take us to my beach. My cliff. My place to hang out.

"You remembered how to get here?" I asked in astonishment.

"Of course. You kept it such a secret from your friends that I figured it's an important place," he said and motioned for me to join me as he got out of the car. We watched as the day started to break. Glancing at the clock on my phone I deduced that it was a little before seven in the morning.

With each minute that passed, the air started to get warmer and it wasn't long until I felt toasty. I walked to the car and grabbed two towels I had stored in the back and set them on the ground. I lifted up my shirt and pulled it over my head, revealing the bikini underneath. I noticed Alex's eyes on me but I didn't shy away. I pulled down my shorts and tossed my clothes in the car. 

Alex was still staring at me and I came to the conclusion that this was definitely the type of attention I preferred. I sat down on the towel and watched as he took off his shirt,  showing off his perfect set of abs.