Chapter 3 (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

>>><<< 

"Luna, why did you let a great talent such as Mister Qin slip through our grasp so easily? Besides, although Miss Qin's facial appearance is blocked by the veil, she is an unmistakable beauty! If The Descending Jade Hall gains their employment, we will elevate our status and become more famous!" Madame Scarlett nagged, not understanding, as she bustled behind Luna, who made her way swiftly back into a hall and poured herself a cup of tea.

"You only see the advantageous side but you do not know, perhaps the other side is the impetus to destruction." Luna's voice drifted to a bewildered Madame Scarlett through the rising steam of the fragrant green tea.

"They're just a musician and a pretty young girl! It's just that simple!"

"Delicate fragility is only her deceptive façade, she is not transparent enough and I cannot see through to her intentions." Luna popped open her large eyes as she leant forward to wrinkle her nose at the scoffing Madame Scarlett.

"Well, to be honest, I have seen quite a lot during my career! I need only one eye to tell if one is human or ghost. I do not have the feeling that you have!"

"Madame Scarlett this.... this is my animal instinct. It's hard for me to explain to you clearly. However! I make this decision for the benefit of our Hall." Luna tilted her head and then leaned forward to stare at the older woman in earnest. She hoped this vague reasoning could portray her feelings of unease about the girl, who was actually similar to her age, to this human. Only perhaps about ten years older than Luna, Madame Scarlett was rapidly becoming a sisterly figure to the young woman.

After a pause, Madame Scarlett poked her head out quickly. "You're just biased."

Shrinking back to sit properly, a smirking Luna thumped her chest heartily. "Yes, I am biased!"

"Yes! You are indeed biased!" Madame Scarlett blinked at the youngster as she pursed her lips.

Wriggling her head, teeth beaming brightly with the size of her smug grin, Luna reminded her before scurrying away. "I am the Hall Mistress! Hah!"

Huffing with mock offence, Madame Scarlett grumbled to the bare room before gulping a large mouthful of tea to cool herself down. "Correct. You are the Hall Mistress."

>>><<< 

Luna and Madame Scarlett hurried into the guest hall during their trading hour break, after one of the maids reported of Belle's presence and her wish to be seen by them.

Belle's lashes were heavily laden with the liquids of her sorrow, some drops escaping down her tilted cheeks as she stared down at the polished wooden boards of The Descending Jade Hall's reception floor. She shuffled dejectedly up towards Luna and Madame Scarlett. "Hall Mistress, Madame Scarlett...I want to come back."

Luna and Madame Scarlett gave each other a grim, knowing glance.