Chapter 2

Flicking her almond-shaped eyes to coldly re-evaluate this abnormal reaction from such a beautifully strange young girl, Madame Scarlett settled down elegantly on one of the tea chairs next to the plump bed. "You probably already know what kind of place this is...but you're not in shock, not afraid and not making a mess. Are you submitting to your fate or are you harbouring hidden intentions to find an opportunity to escape?"

Uncrossing her arms, Luna huffed and reached behind her to grasp the cup of water left on the bed by Belle. "Is there any good in crying or being afraid? Would terror and tears make you release me? I'm just afraid that the result would be a greeting from the whip or some other form of like punishment. So since I know the result will be the same, why shouldn't I choose a path that is more comfortable for myself?"

Lifting the teacup to her lips, she toasted Madame Scarlett mockingly before taking a short sip. "From now on, I'll just listen to your orders."

Madame Scarlett's face froze, suddenly thrown by Luna's attitude and demeanor. Never before had she seen such a collected girl not at all afraid of what may lie ahead of her. "Come here and take a seat."

Madame Scarlett's painted lids moved as her eyes followed Luna's movements to sit in the chair next to her, separated by the small tea table. "Have you ever seen anyone who has fallen into the water? Because they don't know how to swim, they continue to struggle in the hopes that they will float to the surface but the truth is, the more you struggle, the faster you will sink. In the end, they either die from lack of oxygen or the water rushes into their lungs to drown them, slowly."

Luna moved to place her chin on her fisted hand, which supported her curious expression.

Alright, where is she going with this?...

"If they just knew that by relaxing their body, even for somebody incapable of swimming, they will float back to the surface easily. Ironically, those that fall in are actually a short distance away from the shore. If you can learn to hold your breath just once, you can get to safety quickly." Madame Scarlett looked at Luna appraisingly. "What are you called?"

"Xin Yue (Luna)."

"Good. In a bit, a maid will lead you to your room. If you want anything, tell them." With that Madame Scarlett rose, gathered her skirts and swayed to the doorway. However, she hesitated and rotating smoothly to look back towards Luna, she sneered. "See it this way, I technically saved your life. If it wasn't for me, you would have either starved to death on the streets or survived the rest of your days by begging."

Moving closer to grab Luna's chin, she inspected Luna's face from both sides. "But with your beauty, you'll never escape this fate. Now that will be the ultimate filthy existence."

>>><<<

Light zither music filled the elaborate practice hall as the group of girls clad in white dance robes rimmed with a fiery red moved in correspondence to the notes and crescendos. Luna followed with ease, twirling around and giggling with joy at a reluctant Belle, whose minimal movements betrayed her displeasure.

"Come, let's dance together."

Belle skirted back in fear and nervousness as she stuttered, "I...no, no, no, that won't do!"

Luna broke out of the orderly line of girls and forgetting the designated dance routine, the Jie tribe women's spirited movements took over her momentarily. Spinning out in wide circles, the eagle-like depictions of the desert dances shocked the lead dancer, who tutted with disapproval and disdain and hurriedly glided forward to chastise her. "Our Descending Jade Entertainment Hall is notorious in Jianan City for our elegance. If our rival halls such as The Sweet Heaven Hall sees your wildness, wouldn't you think that there will be an abundance of negative jokes going around at our expense?"