Chapter 1 (Part 2)

This bag should last me long enough until I find a job in the city. I wonder if I'll see Wei again when I go there? I wonder what Jianan City looks like...

Brother Wolf greeted her from the entrance of her cave and followed patiently at her heels as she plopped down on a chair inside. With a gentle clinking, the bag of coins was placed on the table next to her. Patting his furry back, she stroked her cheek against his large head as she sighed to herself.

"Brother Wolf... I cannot become a wolf again after I've learnt what it's like to be human. Besides I can't follow your pack forever. Just like Father always told me, I belong with people and I must learn to live with them. The gods allowed me to survive three years ago... so no matter if the road ahead of me is sour, sweet, bitter or hot, I should taste the full flavour of life as a human being."

Kneeling down to cup her brother's furry face, she whispered sadly, "Brother, I'm going to go to Jianan City. I need to see Father's home town, the place he was so proud of. I'll come back once I've fulfilled Father's expectation of me becoming a beautiful Southern girl."

Brother Wolf just silently stared into her eyes with his large soulful ones, his tongue hanging out.

"Hey, you can't laze around after I'm gone! You must work hard to become the alpha male of all the packs within the Western Desert, got it?" With that, Luna nuzzled her nose against her brother's and slowly walked out of the home she'd been living in for the past three years; the safe haven against the emotional detritus and dangerous interactions of the outside world.

Father, I'm going to go to Jianan just as you've wished. Goodbye, beautiful desert. Goodbye, cosy cave. Goodbye... big brother.

>>><<< 

The packed cart rocked its way past the large city gates and the heavily armed guards bearing large spears and solemn expressions.

Initially lying face first on the soft carpets, Luna raised her face from beside the merchant and kneeling, she carefully balanced herself on the cart. Looking around with an open mouth, her wide eyes couldn't absorb enough of the unfamiliar yet extremely pleasant surroundings.

Everywhere she looked she saw towering buildings and pagodas with many levels that were capped with tiled eaves at the four corners which pointed out and above elegantly. Multi coloured flags flapped joyously to the sweet breeze as busy people of all ages bustled constantly below, the colours and style of their clothing were like a coruscating kaleidoscope to her enlarged eyes. All their voices intermingling to provide a cacophony of happiness to Luna's ears. Her sensitive nose was overwhelmed by the many scents drifting from everywhere around her.

"So, this is Jianan City?!" She hopped up to stand with her hands on her hips, the gauzy material of her Lolan garment blowing behind her. "Although hearing Father describe it many times before, seeing this first hand is a completely novel experience!"

Hopping down whilst flicking a coin to the merchant to thank him for the ride, her nose twitched when a familiar flavour drifted towards her to appease her nasal cavities and hungry stomach.

"Roast lamb on sticks! Roast lamb on sticks!" The store keeper waved the savory aroma outwards to attract customers.

He's definitely attracted the desert girl in me!

With a savage grin, she raced over to stick her face over the turning sticks threaded with succulent lamb cutlets. Breathing in deeply, she slapped a large coin in the hand of the euphorically grinning boss as she received several large sticks in return for her unknown generosity.

Moving along and munching happily, the empty sticks also provided another purpose as pointers to whatever her heart desired.

"This. This. That. And this." She aimed happily with one hand as her other pulled out more coins from Wei's currency bag to another eager shop keeper.