Chapter 20

This could be the last she ever had of him.

Her heart kickstarted, that helpless feeling returning—

Then her hands felt something stiff in the coat pocket. Agatha reached in and pulled out a stack of letters, banded together. She flipped through the first few.

"DEAR GRISELLA,

I KNEW THERE'D BE UNDUE ATTENTION ON ME AT SCHOOL, BUT THIS IS ABSURD. I'VE ONLY BEEN HERE A FEW DAYS AND I'M STILL TRYING TO GET MY BEARINGS, YET EVERY EVER AND NEVER IN THE PLACE KEEPS HOUNDING ME, ASKING ME ABOUT HOW I PULLED EXCALIBUR FROM THE STONE AND WHAT BEING KING OF CAMELOT FEELS LIKE AND WHY I'M AT SCHOOL WHEN I SHOULD BE RULING MY KINGDOM. I TELL THEM THE "OFFICIAL" STORY, OF COURSE—THAT MY FATHER WENT TO THE SCHOOL FOR GOOD AND I WANT TO HONOR HIS LEGACY . . . BUT THE NEVERS DON'T BELIEVE ME. AT LEAST THEY DON'T KNOW THE TRUTH—THAT THE PROVISORY COUNCIL ONLY APPROVED MY CORONATION ON THE CONDITION THAT I RECEIVE A FORMAL EDUCATION (AKA HAVE TIME TO "GROW UP" BEFORE I RULE). BUT I DON'T INTEND TO TELL PEOPLE THAT MY OWN STAFF WON'T LET ME BE KING UNTIL I GRADUATE THIS PLACE. AND NOT ONLY GRADUATE, BUT GRADUATE TOP OF THE CLASS AND WITH A SUITABLE QUEEN-TO-BE PICKED OUT. I FEEL OVERWHELMED, HONESTLY. I CAN BARELY CONCENTRATE ON MY CLASSES. YESTERDAY, I BOTCHED PROFESSOR SADER'S QUIZ ON THE HISTORY OF CAMELOT. THAT'S RIGHT: I FAILED A TEST ON MY OWN KINGDOM—"

"DEAR GRISELLA,

THE DAYS AT SCHOOL ARE LONG AND DIFFICULT (ESPECIALLY YUBA THE GNOME'S CLASS IN THE BLUE FOREST—HE SWATS ME WITH HIS STAFF WHENEVER I MISS AN ANSWER AND I MISS PLENTY). BUT YOUR LETTERS FROM THE CASTLE HAVE GIVEN ME GREAT COMFORT AND REMIND ME OF OUR LIVES AT SIR ECTOR'S BEFORE I WAS KING, WHEN WE STARTED EACH DAY KNOWING EXACTLY WHAT WAS EXPECTED OF US—"

"DEAR GRISELLA,

I'VE BEEN PICKED FOR THE TRIAL BY TALE! EVEN THOUGH MY NEW FRIENDS LANCELOT AND GUINEVERE BOTH PLACED AHEAD OF ME. GUINEVERE I CAN UNDERSTAND (SHE'S BRILLIANT), BUT LANCELOT? HE'S GREAT FUN, BUT NOT THE SHARPEST SWORD IN THE ARMORY. NEEDLESS TO SAY, I'M FEELING THE SPIRIT OF COMPETITION MORE THAN EVER. IF THE NEW KING OF CAMELOT DOESN'T WIN THE TRIAL BY TALE, THE ROYAL ROT WILL BE RIDICULING ME ON THE FRONT PAGE FOR MONTHS. SPEAKING OF ROYALTY, IS EVERYTHING RUNNING SMOOTHLY AT THE CASTLE? I HAVEN'T HEARD FROM YOU IN WEEKS—"

Agatha paged through more of them.

These weren't Tedros' letters. They were his father's.

King Arthur must have written them when he was a first year at the School for Good. But who was Grisella? And why did Tedros have his father's letters in his coat? Then she noticed something stuck to the back of the last letter . . . a handwritten label . . .

Camelot Beautiful.

And clipped to the label was a business card that read:

"ALBEMARLE: Licensed Manager. Bank of Putsi."

Agatha peered closer.

Camelot Beautiful. That was the fund that Lady Gremlaine used to refurbish the castle, the one that never seemed to have any money, despite Agatha's relentless fundraising for it. Had Tedros kept the label for a reason? And what about the business card? The only Albemarle she knew was the spectacled woodpecker that tallied ranks at the School for Good and Evil, and he certainly wasn't a bank manager in Putsi . . .

Something rustled behind her and Agatha turned sharply.

She dropped the letters in shock.

"Hello, my dear," said a tall woman in the doorway with wild, canary yellow hair, an overabundance of makeup, and a leopard-print caftan billowing in the wind as she stepped off a hovering stymph into Robin's treehouse.