Maren, on the other hand, worked carefully to ensure that she looked appropriate for the occasion but unremarkable—not too pretty and not too plain. She had dressed simply, in a light blue dress with full skirts that brushed the floor as she walked. The bodice was fitted with elbow-length sleeves and a fashionable, but not too revealing, décolletage. She wore the gold necklace that used to belong to her grandmother and the pearl earrings that her mother insisted she wear "for luck" but no other jewels. Her dark hair was in a simple braid. She was confident she would avoid notice.

The Selection had been happening for nearly as long as the Kingdom of Malen had existed. Each year, the nobility of the kingdom sent their unmarried daughters of "appropriate age" to the Capital to appear before the adult male members of the royal family. If the king or prince or other royal chose, he could invite one of the young women to join his household for up to a year. "Joining the household," of course, being a polite euphemism for "becoming his mistress."

While it had long been customary, the Selection had been mandated by law for less than a hundred years. King Tynan III, the present king's grandfather, issued an edict codifying the Selection. Although custom had long held that a young woman would only be obligated to be a member of the royal "household" for one year, Tynan had become particularly fond of his mistress and decided to keep her. This might not have been a significant issue, except that he was already married. Her father and his allies protested, refusing to send their taxes unless the king gave up the woman. In the subsequent negotiations, the rules of the Selection were codified. The "appropriate age" was between eighteen and twenty-five and the young woman was to be married to a "suitable gentleman" following no more than one year in the royal household. Noble families were also given the option of paying a tax instead of sending their daughters to appear at Court.

Although there was occasionally some grumbling about doing away with the Selection, most noblemen benefited too much from having the system to be overly bothered by it. Their daughters might be chosen, but then the family would curry some favor with the king and perhaps get better lands or an increase in the title. At the end of the year, the daughter would have a better match than they would have been able to make thanks to the Crown's supplemental dowry. If the noblemen had sons instead of daughters, those sons might get to marry the former members of the royal household, which of course came with that dowry and usually more royal favor.

Maren had to admit, her parents probably would have sent her to the Selection had it not been so dangerous for her to even set foot in the Capital. The tax was high, and the family estate was relatively modest. But that year, when she was twenty-five, they had risked it. Paying the tax would have meant cutting wages for the staff, and Maren could not in good conscience let that happen. Her father thought about refusing to pay the tax or send her to the Capital, but Maren had argued that that would draw too much attention to the family. Better to go quietly and avoid notice.

Unfortunately, she had completely failed at the "avoiding notice" part of the plan.

The servant led her from the hall where the Selection had been held through the maze-like palace in silence. Maren knew that the servant would only speak to her, a noble lady, if she spoke first. Maren was normally always careful to exchange pleasantries with any household staff she encountered, but in this instance, she preferred silence. She was trying very hard not to think about where she was.

They crossed a large and airy courtyard and entered what Maren knew had to be the residential wing of the palace. After walking through yet another long and plushly carpeted corridor, they reached a set of wooden double doors. The servant opened the doors and Maren followed her.

The room was lavish by any definition. Plush carpets covered the glossy marble floor. The walls were lined with rich—and expensive—wood paneling. Ornate velvet couches and sofas were arranged around a smaller and equally ornate, low wooden table.