The Penguin Hut

It was dark by the time Kindra and Bryant reached the tree line of Gaerlom. At first, she didn't know what she was looking at—the huts were unlike anything she had ever seen, and the water beyond melted into the dark horizon so that it felt like she could see forever. There was a constant roaring crash that put her on edge. She touched the hide on her face and scowled.

"Who do I need to talk to?"

"The Breens. That's who Kaye stayed with—they will be sympathetic."

She scanned the silent village. "And how do I find them?"

Bryant pointed to a hut near the trees. "They live there."

"Good. Let's go." She stepped into the open and turned when he didn't follow. "Well?"

He shook his head. "I cannot follow. The Tarrin will kill me."

"Who's Tarrin?"

"The wingless."

She walked back. "I'm wingless and I haven't killed you. Yet."

He glared at her. "The Gaerloms will kill any Faye who comes too close. They fear us."

She laughed, humorless. "You don't even have weapons."

He shrugged and his eyes flicked over her head. Something in them darkened and Kindra turned to find a skinny young man with Faye hair. He was holding a spear and staring at Bryant with hatred. When his eyes finally hazarded a glance at Kindra's face they widened, and he grabbed her away from the trees by the wrist.

"For Awena, Kaye. What did he do to you?"

This must be one of the Breens. Kindra pushed his hand away as he tried to touch the hide on her face and his eyes flashed with hurt and betrayal. Oh for Trina's sake, he was in love with Kaye.

"I'm her sister, Kindra."

He looked from her to Bryant—his eyes narrowed—and back again. "Where's Kaye?"

"She's been kidnapped by a man named Pike. He attacked Fie Eoin with the help of the Obsidian Nation."

"He attacked Kaye early this spring. How did he know she went home?" He eyed Bryant as if the Faye was likely to have told Pike anything. Bryant's shoulders rose just a bit in threat as he glared back. Kindra wished she'd left him at the cliff.

"He didn't. He was there to kill me."

"It looks like he almost succeeded."

Timin reached out again, and Kindra slapped his hand away. Why did he keep trying to touch her?

"I need a weapon and an army," she said. "I was told I could get at least one of those here."

His eyes flashed hurt when she slapped him away again. "Why don't the Faye help her?" Timin nodded to Bryant. "She chose him, after all."

"The Faye do not fight," Bryant said.

"Maybe they should learn."

While Kindra agreed with that statement, she didn't have time to waste on posturing and jealousy. "Listen," she grabbed Timin's arm. "Kaye needs help, and so does Fie Eoin. From what I know, you were a good friend to her. We need your help and the help of your tribe. As for him," she nodded to Bryant, "if you provide me with two spears, I will teach him to use them, and one Faye will fight, at least."

They both stared at her for a moment, and she got the distinct impression that this was not the first time someone reprimanded them for infighting. Good for Kaye.

Timin nodded. "We have an extra spear or two. "

"I need an army." She looked at the huts around them. The village was no bigger than Fie Eoin, but if every able-bodied man came with her, that should be enough to kill Pike, save Kaye, and perhaps even run the Obsidians out of Fie Eoin long enough for the warriors to regroup.