Where Are You From?

Kaye floated from unconsciousness to pain. Her back was a forest fire, shifting in intensity from one spot to the next. The pressure on her wrists was gone, replaced by a dull ache that spread through her fingers. She was so exhausted her eyes wouldn't open. Even her jaw hurt, although she didn't remember injuring it.

Two low voices echoed around her—a man and woman. They spoke Aledan with a slight accent, but it took her a long time to understand them.

"Do you know her?" The woman asked.

"No. She's too young," the man replied.

Over their voices was a muffled roar that must be the blood rushing through Kaye's head. It sounded like the warrior's training in summer; the constant clash of spears as the trainees went through their repetitions.

"Does Timin know?" The man.

"He thinks she's a silkie. I sent him out as soon as I saw her wings."

A long pause and the roar continued steadily.

"She was bound by the wrists. Look."

A warm, gentle hand touched Kaye's wrist and she groaned in pain. It didn't take long for a cool cloth to touch her forehead and the woman spoke as she would to a frightened child. "It's okay, dear. No one's going to hurt you here."

Kaye's eyelids cracked open. The blurry face before her was decked in black hair, and the terror of the Obsidians rose with the bile in her stomach. The woman had just enough time to grab an empty bowl before Kaye vomited the foul water she'd drank over the edge of the cot. She heaved until her throat was sore and her stomach empty.

"That's good," the woman cooed and pushed Kaye's hair back. "Get it all out."

Kaye lay back and closed her eyes. That had taken all her energy.

"Here." The woman pressed a cup to her lips and wet them. The water was clean and cool, and Kaye opened her eyes again and pushed herself onto a sore elbow to drink. She gulped it down, relishing the feeling, until the woman pulled it gently away. "Not too much or you'll be sick again."

Kaye finally glanced at her surroundings. The woman had dark hair and blue eyes—such a strange color that she couldn't be an Obsidian. She was plump, with a kindness in her energy that Kaye could feel through her pain and exhaustion.

The man stood beyond her. He looked like a Faye-blooded Aledan, but there was a coldness to him that made Kaye uncomfortable.

The room itself was set up much like her tent at home, but the walls had a texture she couldn't identify until she reached out to touch it. It was hardened mud—tiny pieces flaked off at her touch.

"What's your name, dear?"

"Kaye." She swallowed and spoke again, louder.

"I'm Abigail Breen of the Penguin Clan, and this is my husband, Gabe Breen."

He nodded, but his arms were crossed and his face perfectly blank. It looked like something he'd practiced for a long time.

"Where am I?" Kaye could hardly keep her eyes open. The dull crashing in her ears wouldn't stop.

"This is Gaerlom," the woman—Abigail—said. "Our son found you trying to drink ocean water and you passed out."

Their son. His eyes had been the same color as the toxic water, although they were kinder than the drink.

The man spoke for the first time since she'd opened her eyes. "Where are you from?"

"Fie Eoin." Kaye didn't expect them to know it, but his eyes widened before falling back into the studied blankness from before.