A More...Physical Arrangement

(This scene is pretty short, so I'm going to post three this week instead of two!)

Kindra had almost made it to the safety of her empty tent when the High Priestess stopped her.

"Kindra, can you come here, please? A messenger has come to speak with you."

Who could be sending her a message? Perhaps it was Kaye? Kindra's heart lifted at the possibility that it was a message from her sister. Even if it wasn't a message from Kaye herself, news of her safety would be welcome.

The High Priestess held open the tent flap as Kindra stepped inside, then froze at the sight of Corbin Marcello. Her hand gripped the hilt of her dagger and she looked to the High Priestess for an explanation, but the woman only nodded in Corbin's direction.

He sized her up and frowned. "A gift from Chief Obsid," he bowed and held out her father's spear.

"That's no gift, it belongs to me." She snatched it from him and relaxed slightly as her fingers found the grooves in the wood.

"He didn't have to return it." Corbin crossed his arms. The smell of rot still lingered in the tent and his nose crinkled. "It comes with a proposal."

"War?"

"Truce." Corbin looked from Kindra to the High Priestess. "Hunting rights in the Valley, in exchange for an Odion woman to give him sons, as before."

Kindra pounded the butt of the spear into the ground. "Never."

Corbin looked at the High Priestess, but she shook her head. "Kindra is already promised."

"Yes. The Bride of Eoin. Chief Obsid offers her a more...physical arrangement."

"It is for her to decide." The High Priestess looked at Kindra, and she was relieved that she wouldn't be forced into marriage like Kaye was.

Corbin's gaze rested on Kindra. "You would be First Woman among the Nation. You would be most powerful."

Who did he think she was? He'd stolen her sister and killed her mother, and expected her to forgive him at the promise of power? Kindra's face turned hard. "I'm the last Odion Warrior—I'm already the most powerful woman in my tribe."

"You would bring Deer Valley back to your people."

She leaned in and sneered at him. "I will bring Deer Valley back to my people without your Chief's favor. He killed my parents and stole my sister. I don't want a truce—I want revenge."

Corbin glanced at the High Priestess, who stared back at him, saying nothing. "You throw this offer back in the face of our Chief?"

In response, Kindra spit at his feet. "Tell your chief that I will see him again soon, and this time he will lose."