A Gentle Kiss To Say Goodbye

Abigail wouldn't release Kaye the next morning. "You be safe now, you hear? Go straight there and don't let anyone follow you. And make sure those Faye don't hurt you."

Kaye patted her back and forced a smile. "Don't worry, they won't hurt me. I'll be safe."

"And if you have little wingless children, you send them here to me. I'll raise them up right."

That made Kaye laugh, although it was tinged with tears. "Agreed. Any Tarrin children get to live with Grandmother Abigail."

"Good." Abigail pulled away and wiped at her eyes.

"Thank you for everything," Kaye said and wiped away her tears before turning to Gabe. They had never become close like her and Abigail, but he looked a little sad to see her go. "And you, sir. Thank you for letting me stay."

He nodded. "When you go home, tell Kaye that I hope she's doing well. And...well no, you better leave it at that."

Kaye nodded although she still didn't know who this other Kaye from Fie Eoin was, nor what had happened to her. "If I meet her, I'll let her know."

He paused for a minute, opened his mouth, shut it again, then finally shook his head. "In the Faye lands, do you know a young man named Bryant? He'd be a little older than you."

She looked at Timin before turning back to his father. "I do." Something changed in Gabe's eyes and he swallowed hard. "Would you like me to give him a message?" Kaye asked.

"No." Gabe looked at his wife as she took his hand and he turned to Kaye with clearer eyes. "No, he wouldn't remember me. You better go before the Nomads wake up."

Timin handed her a bag—much larger than the one she had when she tried to go home—and led her out of the hut and into the woods. They planned to take a meandering route south before turning inland towards the mountains. He carried his own pack and spear so it would look like they were going fishing for the day. He checked on the Nomads just before sunrise and found them sleeping outside on the beach, even Pike. It seemed the young warrior wanted only to scare Kaye and move on because he hadn't returned to harass her.

They were silent on the trip up the mountain, although Kaye could tell Timin was becoming more and more antsy. "You can go back," she said as they reached the halfway point.

Timin shook his head, but he looked to Gaerlom. "I need to make sure no one follows you."

She grabbed his hand. "You're banned."

"So are you." He looked her in the eye. "I could..." He bit his lip and took a deep breath. "I could cut your wings off, if you want to stay in Gaerlom."

Kaye knew he was saying it because of what his father did to himself, but the horror of the thought made her pull her hand away.

"I'm sorry, Kaye, I didn't mean it like that. You wouldn't be my slave or anything, like the Legend says. I just want to keep you safe."

"I know." She began to cry again. She didn't want to leave Timin. She didn't want to live with the Faye. She didn't want to think of her sister and how long it would be before she saw Kindra again.

He wrapped his arms around her and held her until the tears passed. "I'm sorry," he whispered over and over again.

"It's not your fault," she said and wiped her eyes. "You have nothing to be sorry for."

He pushed the hair out of her face and kissed her. A gentle kiss to say goodbye. "I wish I could have kept you safe, Kaye Odion."