Chapter 10: Feelings

Usnavi’s POV:

                It’s been a few minutes since Miss Y/n walked out on us. All of these must be so hard for her to swallow. I mean, I can’t believe that the threat of Lafayette being erased from existence is harder for her than Lafayette himself.

Mr. Lafayette’s not even worried about himself, but her.

I realized that something different is going on with these two the moment they argued earlier about helping me stop my uncle.

It's more than just ‘friends being caring with each other…' I knew it’s a lot more than that.

And my thoughts have been confirmed the moment I talked to Lafayette.

All he told me was he doesn’t want her to be in trouble, and he wants her safe. And he wants her to be happy and secured even if he’s no longer by her side anymore.

Now I won’t be surprised if they do have feelings for each other. I won’t judge their age- no… time gap.

After a talk with Lafayette, I knew I had to talk to Miss Y/n too. This isn’t just for the books, but for their relationship.

I can’t believe I’m going to be a wingman for my teacher and my favorite historical hero.

A little weird, but ok.

For a sixteen year old like me, I do mind when I can say I have bigger problems...

I slowly knocked at Miss Y/n’s door. It took her a few seconds to answer.

“Who is it?” She asked. Her tone of voice is very low spirited.

“It’s me, Miss. Usnavi. Can we talk, please?”

“If you’re just gonna talk about the books-”

“It’s not about the books, Miss.” I immediately cut her off.

After a few seconds, she opened the door.

“Can I come in?”

She opened the door wider, making a way for me to go inside.

I went in, and sat on the bed.

She sat at the edge of the bed, a little far from me.

“About earlier…” She started off.

“It’s okay, Miss. I know you’re just very concerned about Lafayette and wanted to help. I know you care about him a lot, so I understand.”

“No… You don’t understand. You’re just-”

“A kid? Yeah, that’s also what I thought, but then I realized I was left with huge responsibility of keeping the most important books in history and literally being threatened to be killed because of it, which almost caused me a trauma. And not to mention that I still have a huge problem about a jealous family member who stole what was left by my parents for me to protect. Yeah, I totally can’t understand that a mere adult like you has romantic feelings for a man who is hundred years older. A very complicated thing for only grown-ups to understand, right?” I told her with pure sarcasm to my tone.

She looked at me,
dumbfounded.

Y/N’s POV:

           I stared at Usnavi, feeling stupid after his long sarcastic statement.

Dang… I feel like I’ve made a mistake calling him a “kid”.

“I’m sorry.” Those are the only words that came from my mouth after that.