Chapter 5: Misunderstanding

Y/N's POV:

Today's Saturday, meaning there's no class. I had no other things to do so I guess I'll just have to bother Lafayette.

So I looked for Lafayette at the living room. And there I see him, at the table, reading the book Usnavi gave me.

I came closer, just to realize he was... crying?

"Laf, are you okay? You seem.. teary-eyed."

"Oh, it's nothing, mon cher. I was just overwhelmed by what I've read.." He said, wiping his tear.

"I mean... I still can't believe we won the war at Yorktown. And we also got France's independence... And all of our legacies will be written and well preserved."

I smiled and placed my hand on his shoulder.

"You deserve every victory you've achieved, Lafayette." He beamed a smile and held my hand that was placed on his shoulder.

"Hey, how about a celebration? For everything you've done for this country." I suggested.

"I'd love that."

So I took him to a pub, not too far from my apartment building. I know he might get a little awkward seeing some people there, but he's been talking about drinking beer and stuff for the past couple of days. And I want him to have fun.

The moment we entered the pub, his eyes wondered through the place in awe.

What can I say? The pub was a classic place with a vintage style. It looks like it was built in the early 1800's.

Did I also mentioned that the place was fancy?

We took a seat, in front of the bartender. I ordered a shot of vodka.

Lafayette ordered a shot of whiskey.

After hours of talking and taking small shots, we eventually ordered a whole glass of Lafayette's preferred drink. But then I keep noticing him spacing out looking at his glass of whiskey.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing.. It's just, it has been a long time since I've enjoyed drinking."

I looked at him, raising a brow.

"Oh c'mon. I know there's more to that sad look on your face, Laf."

He smiled, not reaching his eyes.

"I miss my dear friends." He replied.

My gaze softened, not taking it away from him.

I thought for a moment before I responded.

"Well, what do you do with your friends whenever you're feeling down?" I queried, having an idea in my mind.

"We used to drink and sing songs together." He said, his eyes twinkling as he remember memories that are precious to him.

"Hey, here's an idea," He suddenly looked at me as I spoke.

"How about as we drink, you can sing songs with me while imagining you're with your friends?"

Lafayette beamed at my suggestion.

"Non, I'd just probably look stupid and embarrass you." He chuckled as he shook his head.

I rolled my eyes,
"Oh come on! I'm the one who's with a legend from history who always witness my awkwardness and stupidity. And you think you're the one embarrassing me?"

He laughed at my statement.

"Fine, fine..." He replied, giving a shy grin.

He first drank a shot of whiskey, and poured another on his glass.