Chapter Sixteen: A Looser in a Hospital

Start from the beginning

She remained quiet. Because revelation, as such, was degrading for her.

As a person who always had a strong front before the world, shame often permeated her because of her never-ending fate of being a victim of violence. It was degrading that she never had the upper hand to save herself in the end or punish the people who hurt her. 

She wished for freedom when the truth was she was always caged.

She was forever a strong soul, yet in front of the demons of her life—she was weak.

A looser—that she was.

Besides, Victoria had by now given up on being believed by this certain bull-headed man. At the end of the day, he would always assume the worst of her. Compared to other people's words, hers would always fall wobbly.

Victor's insistent tone brought her out of the inferno, "Would you please answer me—"

Angrily, she cut in, "What is your problem? Isn't it your usual demeanor to not care even if I fall from a six-story-long building and die? And don't you already know what kind of evil liar I am? Maybe, I beat myself and created those bruises to make it seem like the work of another? Maybe, I just want sympathy from the common—"

"You did not share it with anyone, did you—"

"I fell from the stairs. Does that satisfy your uncalled-for curiosity?"

Eyes narrowed and indignance in his stare, Victor submerged into a deadly silence. 

The curtains were pulled back, and the doctor, a middle-aged woman with a serious face, came after that. Victor was asked to leave Victoria alone with her for a few minutes. 

She examined Victoria's vitals and how she felt after waking up. Then, after rechecking her bruises, the doctor, of course, inquired her for some time about them. "It is typical to assume that the husband has something to do with these," the doctor said, taking a seat on the stool Victor was occupying minutes before.

Ah, now she realized why Victor was suddenly so interested in her injuries. It was because his own throat was in line, that's why.

The savior image of Victor that Elli so bragged about always eclipsed in Victoria's case.

Victoria was that poison in his life he was desperate to discard.

She told the doctor the truth about her bruises and that a police complaint was already present. The doctor left wishing her best, instructing her to eat well, take the supplements, prescribe medicines and painkillers, and give her the clearance to leave the hospital.

After denying Victor's hand when he extended it to help her get off the bed, he didn't try to help her again during their long way out of the hospital.

Nevertheless, she didn't deny him when he opened the door to the passenger seat of his car. Honestly, the long walk down to his car in the driveway felt devastating to her bones.

In her entire photography career, she had never experienced exhaustion similar to this. On the contrary, her stamina during long photo walks and tours had an excellent reputation.

Asthel was beating down her carefully built structure into damnation.

She dozed off at some point.

For some reason, her entire body jerked slightly. It made her moan and turn her head to have something soft yet sturdy connect to her face. She inhaled the fresh scent coming from it, felt good, and snuggled closer, moaning.

A gasp reverberated and made her snuggle even closer.

A feeling of floating lulled her further into sleep for a long while until softness connected to her back. It was like the clouds were taking her away in leisure. Moaning further, she sunk into comfort.

~

word count: 1163

~

Hello, everyone!

I had an insanely busy week. That's why this update is short and delayed by a few days from my update schedule. How, despite all that, isn't it a happening one? 

Transforming times have begun, but they will not be without lots of drama and emotional turmoil. I hope you'll stick to this journey.

Let me know about your views. They motivate me and help me so much to write better. 

Thanks for your support for the last chapter, everyone! I'm glad to read your comments and see all of your excitement for the story and how everything is shaping up. Seriously, love you all! 

See you tomorrow with the next update.
Yes, you heard it right ;)
Lara.