Chapter 25

I look at Antoine and my three siblings, Pedro, Marie, and Charlie. Antoine knows that I'm thinking about it. Of course he knows. Of course he does. He knows me too well.

"Antoine," I say softly. "I don't want to tell them." This earns confused and concerned looks from my siblings.

"You better," he says gently. The room has, suddenly, a much different feel to it.

I sigh, and my breath trembles. Antoine hates seeing me cry, I know, so I figure I shouldn't show emotions. At least now. Not to mention the fact that I would hate to make my siblings concerned. Even more concerned than they already will be. My siblings have never had a tendency to care. It would burden them if I forced them to care. And I already have Antoine to care for me. Antoine is all I need. Or at least I think so.

"Guys," I say, scanning my siblings. Taking in how they look. "I was dating a guy before this. His name was Eden. Is Eden. He... forced me to... sleep with him. Well, he didn't force me. I could have said no, and distanced myself from him. It is not just his fault. It is mine, too. But he got me pregnant. And cheated on me. And left me when he knew I was pregnant, because he wouldn't be able to have sex with a pretty girl anymore. That's when I got with Antoine. Antoine... me and Antoine belong together. We both feel that way. He wants to help me with the baby, once he or she is born. So that's the big bomb I had to be dropped."

My siblings continue staring at me, which makes me uncomfortable. I look to each of their expressions. Charlie's eyebrows are slightly up in surprise and disappointment. Pedro's face shows sympathy. I can't figure out what is going on in Marie's head.

Marie suddenly stand up, though, and hugs me, saying, "I'm sorry. I will be the best aunt I can to your baby. I know my life is busy, and I won't be able to help very often, but if things ever get hard, you can always call me, Belle. Still, though, aren't you excited to have   a baby? How many months pregnant are you?!" Marie's excitement about little cute children and babies is pretty much suffocating to me.

I sigh. "Like, almost one month by now. Probably about three weeks."

She nods, turning to Antoine, "Thank you so much, Antoine," she says, taking both of his hands in hers. Antoine's face is surprised by my sister's honesty and care. "Thank you so much for taking care of my younger sister, and loving her, and being there for her. You really do mean a lot to us, and your presence in her life deeply matters to her and to us. Thank you so much for being there for her and helping her. I can already tell she's doing better, and she is going to get through this, because of your strength and support for her, Antoine. You have definitely grown a lot from that naughty mischievous boy that bothered me years ago into a impressive, outstanding, strong, respectable man. Thank you."

Antoine stares at my sister's way of being so earnest in complete appreciation. He kisses the back of her hand like the prince he is, and says very simply, "I hope you know how much those words mean to me."

My sister grins. "I hope you know how much what you're doing for my sister mean to me."

"Thank you so much," he nods, letting go of her hands. It is a strange thing that just happened, but it makes me feel good, and for some reason, I feel like it had to happen.

Then I turn to Antoine with a sigh and a little smile, "So, Antoine, I think it might be time for you to get in the kitchen and make me some of that noodles and sauce you mentioned earlier. I've been really excited to eat that this whole time."

Pedro, who has always been one to tease, snorts, saying, "How can you get excited over food?"

"Listen, you were just drooling over Antoine because of his freaking career, Pedro! You're none to talk!" I say, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Yeah, Pedro, plus, she's pregnant, so she gets a pass," Marie says, like as if that makes sense. I mean, hey, I am okay with that!

Antoine nods, standing up. "I'll go back and make that food. Of course I'll make some for your siblings, too."

"Oh, Antoine, you don't have to," Charlie is quick to say.

"I know," he smiles. "But I want to. You guys just relax in here. I'll get to it." Before anyone else can make a comment, he is out of the room.

"Belle," my sister says with a smile. "I'm so glad you and Antoine met again. You guys really are good for each other. I can just tell. Despite him being a house-husband."

"Oh, shut up!" I roll my eyes. "He's just a gentleman. He knows I'm tired. He wants to do everything he can for me, whether that means lifting heavy items or making dinner. And he does both, by the way, Marie."

"Okay, okay," she says with a grin.

"But really, though, Belle," Charlie smiles. "I think Antoine is good for you. He's a real sweet guy... And I know how... hard things are for you. You're affected by things, badly."

I nod, glancing down sadly, but also happily. Don't ask me to explain that, because I myself do not understand it, actually.

Me and my siblings just talk. About memories. About our lives. About the happy and the sad. The green grass and the dead grass. Everything. We just talk about everything, and it feels like how it did with us years ago.

In a while, Antoine calls from the kitchen, "Okay, guys, the dinner is ready! Want it in the kitchen or in the living room?"

"Living room, please, Antoine!" I call.

"'Kay, stay there! I'm coming in with your food."

Antoine comes in, serves us our plates, gets us the drinks we each ask for, and we all sit together in a nice silence, eating our dinner.

It's delicious.